Friday, June 19, 2020

montana is looking pretty good now

Maybe it's time to move to Montana.
I don't particularly want to move to a state in the snowbelt...
and I certainly don't want to leave behind my carefully decorated home.
However, that's the only state that still shows up as "safe" on the CDC.gov site.
To date, Montana has not quite seven hundred cases of people infected by this particular coronavirus and twenty people dead.
Georgia hasn't seen numbers that low since March 22.
On March 17, the numbers in Georgia were even lower, but the St. Patrick's Day parade was still canceled.
Thank you, Mayor Johnson and the Council for that preemptive strike.
Even so, as of today, Georgia has just over sixty-two thousand people infected and more than two thousand six hundred people dead...
but bars and nightclubs are again open, the Savannah Bananas start up their baseball circus on July 1, and live concerts can resume, too.
I'm glad the Mayor and the Savannah Faith community are still advocating for the use of CDC guidelines, even though they have been besieged by demands from the population at large to cease the precautionary measures.
The population at large just doesn't get it without a crayon sketch.
Well, here's one that's perfect for explaining the importance of a simple face covering.


Isn't it fabulous at providing all the information in just a glance?
If the blond man is infected but does not wear a face covering and the balding man with the face covering below him spends ten minutes or more in his company, the balding man has a seventy percent chance of becoming infected.
(If the balding man is not wearing a face covering, his risk of becoming infected is, of course, one hundred percent.
Now, consider the next scenario.
The white-haired man wearing the face covering is infected and chatting with the dishwater-blonde woman with the naked face.
But notice this: her chance of getting infected by him is only five percent!
That's because none of the spittle, seen or not, which leaves his mouth is released to her because his face covering is serving its purpose and protecting others from harm.
That makes that white-haired guy a true gentleman and the blond man a selfish twit.
Now, here's the best odds of staying healthy, as demonstrated by the brunette woman wearing a face covering while talking to the black-haired man, who is also wearing a face covering.
The black-haired man only has a 1.5 percent risk of catching the virus!
Those are odds I can live with.
The reality, though, is we Americans are selfish, by and large, interested primarily in what is best and easiest for the individual and not what is best for the others.
The good of the one does NOT outweigh the good of the many.
Seriously, have we learned nothing from the hardships of others?

I realize it's still very much a situation of when, not if...
but I'm going to keep washing my hands and wearing a face covering in public...
and keeping an angry alligator, teeth gnashing, between me and others.

Now, I'm going to watch John and Jack McClane wreak havoc on bad guys in "A Good Day To Die Harder"... and I think I'll watch it stretched out on the couch for a change.
Later, watch out for 'gator...
it definitely bites.

2 comments:

faustina said...

LOL!
I'm watching the Jimmy Kimmel show -
which I very rarely do -
like, I haven't watched since Kobe Bryant died and Kimmel did an awesome compilation of Kobe's interviews on his show.
So, I saw that Michael Keaton was scheduled as a guest and, bless Pete, as I tune in, my favorite Batman is ON THE SCREEN!
And guess where he's living during the pandemic?
Montana...
I kid you not.
Amazing!
(smile!)

faustina said...

Currently, the population of Montana is 1,068,778 and they have had a total of 29.966 cases of COVID-19 infection.
That equates to a 2.80% infection rate.
As of this date, the USA, with a population of 328,239,523 has 8,752,794 of those people who have been, or currently are, infected.
That's an infection rate of 2.67%.
In both cases, that means at least 3 people of every 100 have now, or once had, COVID.
For the USA, there have been 225,985 deaths due to the SARS-CoV-2-caused disease.
That means that for every ONE HUNDRED people who get the disease, at least THREE die.
Right now, Montana's death rate from the disease is 1.00%.
It's still safer than most anywhere else in the USA...
but winter is coming, and those are pretty ugly there.
I guess I'll stay here in Georgia for now.
Not because our infection rate is lower...
because it isn't, as GA's is 3.33%
Not because our death rate is lower...
because it isn't, as GA's is 2.23%, more than double that of Montana.
No, I'll stay here because the latitude is more favorable.
I know the extended, extreme cold weather would kill me.
I'm a delicate hothouse flower, you know.