Thursday, June 4, 2020

'mercials, 'mercials, 'mercials

One of my biggest pet peeves of late is the preponderance of commercials on tv.
I guess, since I am typically out and about during prime time, I have simply been able to disregard them.
Sure, let's say that was the case.
The advertisers would come on, touting this insurance program or that ambulance-chasing lawyer, and I would tune them out until the music changed, much as I do when watching a scary movie.
Let the danger go past whilst I stared down at my lap, then resume the story.
No such prerogative seems to be afforded to me these days.
My primary entertainment venue is... the television.
Sigh.
Sure, I also have entertainment on fb live and youtube... but, let's be honest.
That's just a smaller television, albeit one on which I actually know the actors.
I mean, not the actors, but the people populating the shows I watch there.
No, I mean the people that are part of that social media.
Whatever.
It's still a step away from reality.
However, at least the primary difference between the two screens is the complete and utter lack of commercials on the latter, and the slam-packed and overwhelming excess of commercials on the former.
No, wait, let me rephrase that.
It isn't that the television channels have an excess of commercials, per se.
There are probably only seven advertisers, at most, during any two-hour program.
It's just that those same advertisers, be they law firms or insurance agencies, populate every commercial every ten minutes at every commercial break.
Damn.
Tonight, I was watching one of my favorite movies, "The Long Kiss Goodnight".
I don't own it, but I haven't felt the need to.
It's rerun on regular tv fairly often.
This time, the channel airing it was Bounce, as the movie has a prominent black actor.
Cool beans, what a birthday62 treat for me!
So there I was, unexpectedly watching Geena Davis, in her role as an amnesiatic soccer mom who once was a killing machine spy, and Samuel L. Jackson, as the private dick she'd hired to find her lost identity and then recruited to fight evil.
Seriously, what's not to like about such a kick-ass set up like that?
Plus, there's explosions and big trucks and lots of derring-do!
And a strong female lead who tells her ex-boyfriend to "Suck my cock!" when he's trying to kill her - like, damn!
What's not to like about that?
Of course I watch it every time I see it's on!
But, maybe I won't anymore for a while, not while this pandemic is on.
As I said earlier, I'm usually out and about, so I only catch part of it.
I'm usually out and about in the evenings and nights, so I can ignore the ad breaks.
But 'usually' has been tossed out the window.
Damn.
'Mercials, 'mercials, 'mercials...
if you listen the words, you can hear Jan's exasperation with her life in her older sister's sparkling shadow...
you can hear my exasperation with my life in this pandemic's somber shadow.
Damn.

1 comment:

faustina said...

Hahahaha hahaha!
What a treat this Sunday afternoon!
I'm now watching the third episode of "The Brady Bunch" on ME TV and the theme for them has been...
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!
Hahahaha hahaha!
The first was all about Marcia's diary having been accidentally placed in a box destined for a library book sale. It had a special guest: 18-year-old Desi Arnaz, Jr.! What a hottie!
In the second, Marcia was given the part of Juliette and was sure she was wrong for it. Then the family banded together to convince her otherwise, with hilarious consequences as it backfired.
The third one featured Davy Jones, 26 years old in that 1971 episode. Marcia promised to get him for the high school prom - and he was gracious enough to oblige the "president of his local fan club". Very nice - and he even sang "Girl" on the show!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Jones_(musician)#Post-Monkees_career

What a wonderful treat for my post-noon brunch!
If my alarm had gone off, I would have missed the shows.
Right place, right time.
i thank You, God.