Saturday, April 11, 2020

what a grand noon30 finale!

The 31st Savannah Music Festival noon30 series
went out in high style today, granting eager
listeners five videos!
First up was Aoife O'Donovan, lower left, singing and playing guitar from NY.
She was joined by Jeremy Kittel (violin, NY), Maria Gotoh (viola, NY), and one couple, Brittany Haas and Paul Kowert (violin and bass, TN), with a "Valentine" across time and space.
As I told them, "What a plaintive-sounding love song!
Loved that y'all had smiling faces for it! :-)
"

The next one for me featured Camille Thomas, on cello in Belgium, with two songs.
She was joined by Julien Brocal on piano, in France.
They gave us "Le Cygne" first, then Melodie from "Orfeo and Euridice", which I very much enjoyed!
As I commented to them, "Oh, my! I especially liked the second song, having recently seen the beautiful 1959 movie "Orfeu Negro". Very nice that y'all were still able to "play" together!"

Elana James had to play without the other Hot Club
of Cowtown members.
No matter, though as she and her solo fiddle in Texas gave one of their usual diverse shows!
She gave us four tunes: "Put Your Shoes On"; "Ashokan Farewell"; "Redwing"; and "Ayrliq".
My response was "Such an interesting mix of tunes! "Redwing" was my favorite for toe-tappin' fun!
But "Ayriliq" inspired me to find the words for it, and I did, as sung by Rashid Behbudov.
Thanks for including that one that was new to me. :-)
"

Balsam Range's Darren Nicholson was another
one who was playing solo from the band, due to the COVID-19 quarantines in the world.
Accompanied by his guitar, from his home up in
North Carolina, he sang a coming-home love song, "Callin' Caroline".
"What a nice, peppy, upbeat tune!", I said. "Loved
the shirt, too! Looking forward to seeing y'all live and in person again!
"

The fifth concert was aired live from the Czech Republic.
Featuring the artist who has such a unique style that it is named after him, this was a visual treat as well.
Radim Zenkl, scheduled to be part of the Ger Mandolin Orchestra here, gave us "Erev Shel Shoshonim", complete with flowers.
"Such a beautiful instrument... and, what a nice touch to have the red roses for this love song. <3 "


Many thanks to the Savannah Music Festival.
Y'all didn't need to have organized these little concerts...
but they have certainly brightened my days these past three weeks.
(smile)

No comments: