Friday, April 17, 2020

letter via email from a favorite Brit

On Thursday, Cedric Stratton had sent out his weekly digest of grocery store sales.
I'm on that mailing list, and have been for years.
It's a way of keeping in touch with him, one of my former chemistry professors and fellow Armstrong Masquer.
Anyhow, he'd added a note to his email this time.

"Food Lion (the one I go to at DeRenne and Skidaway) seems to have things done right.
Covered number pads for entering your card numbers, screen between you and the clerk, etc.
They have the better bargains this week, of the very limited offerings all around.
We have taken to eating more simply, and buying in foods that keep well in large enough quantities to save shopping more than once a week.
I would be interested in hearing what other ideas anyone has to make things a little safer and a little easier.
Cedric
"

***** ***** *****

When I'd read the email, after midnight, I'd responded.

"There was no screen between me and the young male clerk [at Food Lion] when I was there today.
I was lucky, found most of the items on my list were in stock.
I've given up on looking for toilet paper, haven't seen it ANYWHERE since the start of March.
Cheap napkins for alternate use are getting more difficult to find, but I hope to get lucky with that by the time I'm low.
I hate shopping.
I hate having to wear a mask and feeling like I'm suffocating the whole time.
I hate seeing people taking no precautions at all.
But I love that "Quantum Leap" is being shown five nights a week on Comet TV.
I really look forward to 6 PM each night.
Hope y'all have a bit a brightness, too.
Tina
i thank you God for most this amazing day: for the leaping greenlyspirits of trees and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything which is natural which is infinite which is yes - e.e. cummings"

***** ***** *****

Perhaps something, the bit of desperation in my words, inspired him to check in with all on his mailing list, to invite them to give voice to their concerns.
I'd like to think so.
I know him to be a caring and genuinely interested gentleman.
Here's hoping to see him again sometime.
He sent this out just minutes ago.

"Hallo, Ced here,
10 o'clock of a mid-April night and all is well.
I hope everything is going well with you all, and that you have kept clear of the curse that is spreading amongst us.
Enone and I took a couple of weeks to settle into a new routine.
Enone's experience in biology helps us with sterile transfers, keeping surfaces clean and filtering the air we breathe.
I may have mentioned this before, but just in case - if you run unwanted garments of different fabrics through the washer and dryer, the ones that cling together the most provide a huge electrostatic barrier for particulates, especially living cells.
Made into, or put inside, masks they become doubly effective.
Even with large holes, static electricity at the molecular level is trillions times trillions stronger than gravity.
Enone and I minimze our shopping, and stock up on foods that keep well.
I am writing my memoirs and starting an autobiography, learning dozens of new pieces on guitar, and resumed a far higher level of aerobics than I have for a long time.
We are also growing produce in the back garden.
Let me know that you are all keeping well, and how you are coping.
Stay safe,
Cedric
"

***** ***** *****

I may write back in a few days, but I've already let him know how I am.
Still, I'll be sure to keep in touch with him a bit more often than I have.
I miss talking with him at Philo Cafe, like we once did every week years ago.
I find myself missing a lot of people, and the activities I did with them.

No comments: