Tuesday, April 7, 2020

in the groove with guitars, mandolins, and violins

My Daddy would have been 84 years old today.
I know he was a fan of country music, and I have no doubt he would have liked these noon30 concerts!
If it was toe-tappin', he liked it, just like I do.
I know he wouldn't have known Vilray, but this guitarist has a keen sense of humor.
That was evident in this song from his NY home, titled "At Your Mother's House".
It was about a guy who still regularly visits his ex-girlfriend's mom!
Yeah, Daddy would have thought that was a hoot!
So glad I was able to catch that one live, as it premiered today.
I'm trying to make sure I let the artists, as well as the good folks at the Savannah Music Festival who schedlued these concerts, that someone is listening and being touched by their gifts to the world.
In other words, I'm being an appreciative audience, now as always.
(smile)
So, for this one, I wrote, "Such a great sense of humor in "At Your Mother's House"! Plus a lively tune!"

I think Daddy would also have liked this mandolin-playing Michigander.
Brian Oberlin's noon30 was one of the two yesterday.
Perhaps his heritage is the reason he chose "The Russian Lullaby" to share with us.
It was certainly not like any lullaby I ever heard!
Here's what I told him: "What a gorgeous mandolin!
I think the song may be too lively to lull a baby to sleep, though. LOL!
"

Continuing to work backward in time, the Sunday concert, on festival Day 11, aired from Tennessee.
Adam Roszkiewicz wielded a guitar, but no perky beats.
Instead, he graced us with "Tune For Paul", which must have been in memory of a friend who had died.
Fairly somber, but appropriate for the day, I thought.
I wanted him to know that, too.
"Loved this heartfelt tune, even though it was a little sad - maybe even BECAUSE it was a little sad."

Day 9 of 31SMF had featured a father-son duo from down in Louisiana... and Outlaw, a cat that had no idea its bathroom break was on video!
That's Steve Riley on accordion, with his boy, Burke, backing him up.
I know Daddy would have chortled about their song.
Why? Because "Chez Waby" was about a shady bar where men do what men do, my dear!
"Loved this lively song for this father-son duet!",
I commented, "What a hoot that the cat was just doing its thing... la ti da! LOL!"

The concert by a married couple, Caterina Lichtenberg and Mike Marshall, a week ago Sunday was a definite change of pace, especially in instruments.
Their noon30 came in from Oakland, CA, near the home of my friends Paul and Cathy.
Playing the mandocello and mandolin, the duo gave us "Shalom Aleichem" and "Penso a Te", which were livelier than they sound like they'd be.
As I told them, "Thanks for ending, and beginning,
with tunes for my toe-tapping feet!
"

For a complete and total variation, there's the concert from merry old England!
Plus, it had a classical bent, as the piece was Robert Schumann's "Adagio and Allegro, Opus 70".
Trust Philip Dukes, violin master, to have made that selection, accompanied by Daniel Wills on piano.
With tongue in cheek, I sent a little joke to them:
"A little bit of slow, a little bit of fast - quite nice!"

And then, my dears, it's those Swedish guys, the ones from four years ago today.
Yes, indeed, who better to have opened this visual concert experience with than Väsen, a fun-loving trio
if ever there was one!
Here's a clue about their sense of humor: they kept changing up the camera angles throughout the song, with at least three different cameras at play!
At one point, they had nine images on the screen,
switching it up between the artists and the guitar, the nyckelharpa, and the violin.
Sheer zaniness and good humor!
"IPA Gubben" was more of the same, written to mark Mikael's 50th birthday and love of beer.
As I told the boys in the band, "Oh, yes! I remembered tapping my toes to this one!"
I'll be dancing along again, and soon, to this one -
it's positively joyously filmed!
As for the other stringed instruments in the noon30s of the first thirteen days - i.e., from March 26th through April 7th - I've already spoken of them.
The Dover/Escher Quartet, Darrell Scott, and Robin Ashwell are all in this post.
Germán López, Amythyst Kiah, Marta Pereira da Costa, Kaia Kater & Andrew Ryan, Allison de Groot & Patrick M'Gonigle, and Martin Hayes followed the next day in this post.
For those, like my bfrb panda, who like to have numbers, that means sixteen of the twenty-six little concerts have focused upon an artist with a stringed instrument.
That's a little over 60%.
That's actually fairly typical for the Savannah Music Festival.
I wonder how many of the groups over the next four days will follow suit?
Well, if 31SMF continues to provide two groups per day, that'll be eight groups total.
So, I would expect five of those concerts to be from strummers.
Any bets?
(smile)
If Daddy were alive, I know he'd bet me a dollar.
(smile)
Such good memories of him have I.
i thank You, God.

No comments: