Tuesday, April 7, 2020

seven pianos and a saxophone - what a groove thing!

Well, I decided that since I had nowhere to go, I might as well keep going here... so, here I am, back again!
While Day 13 of the 31SMF is still playing out, may as well strike up the pianos for Mama and Grandma.
The Emmet Cohen Trio is a good place to start, with him on piano, Russell Hall on bass, and drummer Kyle Pool.
From NYC, they gave us three songs.
"Billy Boy", a traditional well past its first hundred years, was first.
Next up was "My Old Flame", a jazz tune from at least the early 1950's.
Finally, they played "Walkin' ", a jazz song from the late 1950's.
Grandma played piano and had taught Mama to play, too, so I am sure they would have known those three songs.
I only knew the first one, but I toe-tapped for all of them.
"I had fun dancing to the music, as I would have had I ushered this concert. Woohoo!"

As it turns out, I would have multiple opportunities to dance to their beats!
A few days later, they were back, accompanying singer Veronica Swift as she broadcast from her NY home.
"What Is This Thing Called Love?"
Well, that's certainly the age-old question, isn't it?
Nothing like a scat songstress to bring it home, though!
"That was a lot of fun! Nice to see the trio again, too!"

That may have been the last time I saw the trio in action, but not so for the pianist!
Here he is again, this time playing alongside Melissa Aldana, of Chile, but in NYC at his place.
Her saxophone sounded a bit rough during the first song, "Polka Dots And Moonbeams", but she had control of her nerves for "Along Came Betty".
"Nice to see these two performing together! Loved the polka dots song!"

So, the above concerts were on Days 5, 11, and 10.
On Day 13, Melissa Aldana had a solo performance on her tenor saxophone, still in NYC.
"I Loves You, Porgy", from the 1935 Broadway musical "Porgy and Bess", was played as a very sad song.
She was clearly having a difficult time during the COVID-19 quarantine, and I certainly understand.
I soothingly told her, "Quite beautiful to hear!"

Perhaps she was missing her home in South America.
Not so for André Mehmari, dressed in a stunning shirt and broadcasting his performance from Brazil.
His song was an original, "Maysways", dedicated to jazzman Lyle Mays, who died in February.
How incredible to be treated to such a new work!
"Quite beautiful!", I responded, "I also liked the "starry night sky" shirt. :) "

So, he had paid tribute to an American.
Drew Petersen, on the other hand, chose to commemorate a Spaniard composer who died young.
The pianist gave us almost fourteen minutes of his time, playing all of "8 Valses Poéticos".
"How wonderful to hear all eight of these poetic waltzes, and to have the second one repeated at the end! My favorites were the third (at 4:00), the sixth (at 7:08), and the eighth (at 10:45), which reminded me of dancing in a summer storm. Many thanks!"

Coming again from NY, as had Petersen's concert, this one from Chris Pattishall provided us with two songs.
Both were in memory of Ellis Marsalis, Jr., who died the first of this month.
"When First We Met" was a slower tune, while "Swinging At The Haven" had a lot of pep in its step!
"Perfect demonstration of Marsalis' range of composition! I very much enjoyed seeing your hands reflected as you played, too! That was definitely a perk from this video concert."

This long-time favorite of mine, Marcus Roberts,
chose not to perform alone.
Instead, he presented an earlier concert, with his full Modern Jazz Generation in glorious harmony alongside, which was recorded in NC.
I'm sure he thought a little bit of "Blue Pepper" would certainly spice up everyone's day - and he was correct!
I just had to gush a little: "That was fabulous, loved dancing to it! Looking forward to seeing Marcus again. Last year was fabulous! "

Yes, last year had been fabulous, but I know more good times will come along.
I have faith... plus, I already know that several of this season's entertainers have been rescheduled for the fall.
Yes, indeed, more good times will come.
Meanwhile, I am so blessed to have had these bite-sized tastes of the dishes that were to be, but must be prepared for some other time.
There are four more days of goodies in store, to tide me over.

I am so blessed.

i thank You, God.

1 comment:

faustina said...

No, I most assuredly did NOT forget about Jeb Patton and Christopher Sands.
Those two were written of in an earlier post.

https://hindsightvisionfromtheocean.blogspot.com/2020/04/more-grooving-going-on.html