Friday, April 10, 2020

groove table, party of four

What a large, heapin' helpin' of fun Hawktail provided!
I would have ushered this noon30, but I don't know that it would have been quite as crazy-lively as the video concert has been!
Brittany Haas, violinist, clearly would agree!
My guess is her man, Paul Kowert, would also concur.
(He is the bassist for Punch Brothers, too!)
Here the couple are again, with Paul on bass,
and with Jordan Tice on guitar, as the third
of their two-year-old band of four.
Paul's sister was dancing for them, too!
They're playing "The Tobogganist", song
three on their four-song playlist, in TN.
And, as teachers, they even included the
music for folks to play along!
One of the things I very much liked, a simple
thing which certainly made this video feel more
casual, were the written notes scattered about,
that invited the viewer into their world.
As for this mandolinist, he's Dominic Leslie,
the fourth, and final, member of Hawktail.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
(smile!)
Another of the notes on this compiled video featured
a guest playing in New York City.
The man behind the accordion is Sam Reider, the same
guy whose band stepped up to fill a last-minute void at the 2018 Savannah Music Festival.
The sheet music posters in these two shots advocate
the use of good old-fashioned pen and paper to share compositions with others.
The lone saxophonist in this conglomeration is Eddie
Barbash
, also guesting from NYC.
Hey, I'm a sucker for a sax man, what can I say?
But, in my defense, I also wanted to show this particular note, as it lets the viewer know that a special treat is in store - the written music, to all four songs, so they can play along!

"Last One On The Line" was the first played and included everyone.
Mike Marshall and Darol Anger paired up for "Horpe's Reel".
As I said earlier, Hawktail performed "The Tobogganist".
"Unless" was the final song, highlighting the fiddle, but also showing a horsehead fiddle, like those of Anda Union!
Yes, I very much liked that one!
"That was a hoot, y'all!
So good to see so many people, so many instruments! Plus, new dancing music!
"

Surprisingly, that was the only noon30 on Day 14.
Only one video was premiered to the world on Day 15, as well.
Bridget Kibbey soloed, from South Carolina, with a peaceful number, "St. Denio", the hymn from Suite for Harp, Opus 83.
What a thrill to have such a close-up on her instrument!
"What a beautiful piece, on a beautiful instrument.
I had not realized until now just how lovely, physically, a harp is.
"

Today, Day 16, the 31SMF was back to its usual of two noon30s for our viewing pleasure.
T. Michael Coleman was aired from his home in Maryland.
Accompanied by his guitar, he did a folk ballad, "Sittin' In The Middle", that flashed back in time to road tours with a long-gone father-son duo, Doc and Merle Watson.
"Nice ballad there, nice tribute to a time gone by.
Loved the [Beatles] shirt, too.
"

The other concert featured two Steves, one in Michigan on trumpet, the other on bass in NYC.
This duo, Etienne Charles and Barry Stephenson, played a song I knew!
It was "Swinging At The Haven",
one of the same Marsalis tunes heard from Chris Pattishall on piano!
"Very nicely coordinated, y'all!
I am amazed at how differently a song can sound simply by the choice of instruments used!
Thanks for the lesson!
"


I must say, one of the nicest things about this concert series is being invited into the safe havens of these artists and seeing how their homes reflect the personalities of the people that inhabit those spaces.
That has made this video concert series so refreshing!
I have been able to watch them on good days and on sad days, just like I have.
I have been privy to seeing how they are handling this COVID-19 quarantine, those sequestered together and those living solo.
I have witnessed how well some perform to an invisible audience and how, in some case, the lack of people before them has affected song choice.
Kudos to the Savannah Music Festival for sharing with the world!
We all need music in our lives, always.
i thank You, God, for those who give us that heartbeat.

Yes, I could have waited for the remaining noon30 concerts to air tomorrow, but I desperately needed a distraction.
Sometimes, my inner control freak takes over.
This is one of those times.
My best friend running bear has told me he plans to drive five hundred miles to see his parents in Tennessee.
Like, starting tomorrow.
Even though we are under orders to shelter in place until some time in May.
Even though this will be another unnecessary trip at a dangerous time.
This is right on the heels of his Wednesday drive down to St. Simons Island to purchase weights from some guy, because none of the stores online will ship them right now.
Sigh.
Angry, hurt, sad, sigh.
If it had been daylight, I'd be out murdering shrubbery.
Again.
But I did not learn of his impending trip until two hours ago.
As that was long after sunset, dismantling yard growths was hardly an option to physically vent my frustration.
Now I had to find some other way to calm down.
So, I chose to transform that negative energy into something more positive, here, scribbling love letters into the sand, enjoying the feel of the gentle surf around my toes.
Sigh.
That will do.
Nice to be caught up on the Savannah Music Festival offerings before the final day.

No comments: