Wednesday, April 22, 2020

mcduck made me cry

First, let me state that I had thought I was overbooked - yes, even during a shelter-at-home period - because this is Wednesday and PFS has that 8 PM time slot filled in my life ever since March 25th.
Then, I got the email from Lake Street Dive that they were having their "Lounge Around Sounds Variety Hour" and it was set to premiere at - you guessed it! -
8 PM tonight.
As good fortune would have it, Jim had to postpone his film viewing party until tomorrow!
That meant I was present for this pajama party!
The first song was a duet, with vocals by Rachael Price and trumpet- and lyrics - by McDuck, aka Mike Olson.
He penned it when they lived in adjacent apartments a decade ago.
He also named the group, after a place in Minnesota.
After the song, Rachel was a bit disoriented.
As she put it, she had felt pretty alone while singing, whereas at a live event, she could look around and see the others in LSD and get visual support from them.
Awww.... how sweet.... and sad....
and so the others in the band had all chimed in from their separate homes to let her know she did well.
That was the first time the McDuck looked sad.
Next up was a game they usually play on the bus as they travel from show to show.
See how drummer Mike Calabrese, in to top right, has his back to McDuck?
And see that McDuck is holding a plastic bag in the air so it seems to be on top of the drummer's butt?
They then keep track of how long it takes for the person to guess what is on their butt.
The winner of "Guess Butt" is the one who guesses quickest when it's their turn.

Not any sillier than Right hand-Left hand Scrabble!
Then came story time!!! Oh, boy, oh, boy!
"Featherbone" was about an old sax player who solves mysteries and whose name was derived from a dish on the menu at Omaha's Slowdown venue.
Calabrese told the tale while Akie Vermice and Bridget Kearney played jazzy mood music - very nice, y'all!
I wasn't the only one wearing a grin after the story!
Clearly, McDuck loved it at least as much as I had!
Sadly, his mic chose that moment to drop out - ack!
Or should that be "Quack!"
Yeah, sometimes I crack myself up... lol!
He missed the next two segments of the show, though.
The reboot didn't take, but he eventually managed to come back via his phone - hooray!

But he missed Bridget's solo.
"Don't get Too Close To Me" was written by the drummer, but he did not accompany her for it.
(I realized later that each singer got to let their voice shine, giving them their moment in the spotlight.)
What about McDuck's solo?
Ain't no such, as he's an introvert, preferring to have an instrument in his face.
But he does write songs, such as the one shown for this "Throwback Thursday" video clip tonight.
Even better, "Funny Not To Care" is on their first album, which I just happen to have!
That's from their first visit to Savannah, in the SMF of 2013.
April 29th would have been their return visit for this year's SMF, which I was scheduled to usher.
I still hope to see them 'upfront and person' in the fall.
Anywho, by the end of that, McDuck was finally back, with his wife beside him, for the "Questions & Answers with Rainn Wilson" segment.
Now, I have to confess: I had no idea who that guy was.
Apparently he was a regular on "The Office", for what that's worth.
However, he was here to talk about climate change and to advocate for LIDÈ Haiti, a group that helps educate and empower teen girls.

After Rainn convinced them to 'kick him out of the band', it was time for another solo set, this time by Calabrese, on guitar instead of drums.
This time, the song was written by Bridget - nice turn around there, y'all!
"I Don't Really See You Anymore", on that first album, seemed especially poignant for life during pandemic.

Then the new guy in the band had his turn.
Akie Bermiss sang one he had composed, "Alone Again", about a bad break up with a former lover.
He remarked afterward that he couldn't tell if folks were liking it or not, as he was solo screen.
I keep hearing that lament from all the entertainers I know - they thrive on being the center of attention and you can't be when no one else is there.
I thrive on giving that attention, from the audience.

The final solo - but not the final segment! - was another from Rachel, but this time with everyone else still visible on her screen and each other's screens.
"I Can Change" was new to me, as it is not on either of the albums I have.
How very nice to hear something different, as well as the older songs!

But McDuck had started looking rather somber.
That's because his turn in the spotlight was up next...
and it was a very lengthy turn, indeed.
He was reading the "Goodnight" book, but I knew he was really telling each of them "goodbye"...
and I knew that was difficult for him...
and difficult for me to watch, as it turned out.
Goodnight, Rachael, the one who hits those impossible notes with such ease...
then her screen winked out and she was gone.

Goodnight, Calabrese, the man who is constantly thinking...
and his screen was abruptly removed from view.
Goodnight, Bridget, who is always on the go and sleeps in her clothes...
and the vision of her was gone, leaving just two.

Goodnight, Akie, who is always dreaming...
then off he went, to dream elsewhere.

Goodnight, Lake Street Dive.

Goodnight, old man McDuck who hides in the back of the stage.

Goodnight to all.

And he was gone.
And there was something about that last look at the camera...
and there was something about the lines of poetic love...
and there was something about each screen taking its leave...
and I found myself sobbing, bereft, feeling my sorrow and their sorrow, overwhelmed.
I'm not sure why, but I was reminded of the episode of "Monk" when he believes he is looking, once more, into his wife's eyes, instead of the eyes of the woman who received the cornea transplant.
Hard to believe I saw that episode seven years ago, but it still has such an effect on me, with the lights winking out as he walked past, up all night with insomnia.

Sobbing all night was not what I needed, alone and with no one to reassure me.
No one.
Then I remembered "Kung Fu Panda" was one of the free movies I could see...
and that 2008 film was exactly what I needed.
As Grand Master Oogway told Po Ping and Master Shifu, "There are no accidents".


I was meant to see this finely-organized variety show, as it reminded me that I am not the only one withstanding this pandemic alone.
Even people who are married, like McDuck and Calabrese, deeply miss those with whom they share a deep, platonic bond, a love of friendship.
I get it.
Right place, right time.
i thank You, God.

And tomorrow, I'll have PFS on a Thursday, but that's alright...
every little thing is gonna be alright...
three little birds told me so.
(smile)

No comments: