Wednesday, July 8, 2020

with my freeze ray, i will stop purple planet

Oh, if only I did have Dr. Horrible's Freeze Ray!
At least time keeps moving forward, giving hope that eventually we will be able to allow this scourge besetting us to fade from memory...
right?
I have to believe that is true.
I have to keep hoping.
That hope is the reason I put a freeze request on my Planet Fitness membership.
After my three days there, I simply could not get comfortable with the idea of returning there, with so many people breathing huge quantities of their body's tainted air into the indoor space.
Then, last Tuesday at his press conference, Mayor Johnson announced the one measure that has proven so effective against contagion everywhere else on Earth: the mandatory use of face coverings.
Hallelujah!
I made sure PF knew the new law of the land, sending them the following on July 1.
"Savannah now has an ordinance that face coverings are MANDATORY. That means that when inside a business establishment, such as Planet Fitness, EVERYONE should be wearing face coverings. The only exception is for exercise OUTSIDE, not in enclosed spaces. When will that policy become standard at Planet Fitness? I would like to feel SAFE when I work out."

Their emailed response was quick!
"2:31 pm 1 July 2020
Thank you for contacting the Planet Fitness Member Services team!
A member services representative will be in touch.
"

By week's end, no one had yet contacted me, nor had I returned to the gym.
When I still had no response on Monday, I had phoned, only to receive the automated message that their voice mail box was full.
Seriously... for a business???
So, I went by on this Tina Tuesday afternoon... which is just a little over two weeks since I first returned to the gym, though not yet two weeks since my last visit there on June 25.
I had thought I would have a look-see, determine if things were safer.
They were certainly talking the talk, even having signs posted that face coverings were to be worn at all times (though the exceptions were on the cardio machines, most dangerous of all for release of spittle-soaked coronavirus in heavy exhalations).
Since they were not walking the walk, I froze my membership.
It'll remain that way until October 9 of this year, unless I opt to thaw it earlier.
My guess is the gym will be closed due to a rash of COVID-19 infections.

When I checked my email tonight, this was waiting for me.
"Member Feedback Planet Fitness
11:26 AM 7 July 2020
Good Morning Faustina Smith,
We want to thank you for taking the time to fill out the online survey of our location. We value every member comment and concern and we are committed to providing exceptional customer service and giving each member the best experience possible. I tried to reach you by phone but was unsuccessful. I wanted to address any specific concerns or issues you had, so we can enhance your experience with us.
We have seen your feedback on the mandate for face masks. We wanted to let you know that we have been doing our best to ensure members are staying in compliance with the standards set out by the city to reduce the spread of the virus. All members entering our facility are required to have on a mask on before entering the facility. We are still encouraging everyone practice social distancing as much as possible as well.
We also understand the frustrations with people who might not be following proper procedures and would be more than glad to address situations as they come up.
We want to also let you know that if you are still feeling uncomfortable with the facility that you do have the option to freeze the membership.
We take your feedback seriously and would like to make concrete improvements. We value all feedback, whether it's something we need to work on or something we can do to better your member experience! I would like to discuss this with you further when you have an opportunity. Please feel free to reach out at your convenience using the number below, or you can simply reply to this email.
Thank you for choosing Planet Fitness to be a part of your fitness journey and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thank you for being a valued member!
D'Angelo Shaw
Assistant Manager – Savannah II
________________________________________
Planet Fitness | Home of the Judgement Free Zone®
Sunshine Fitness Management-Independent Franchisee
1100 Eisenhower Drive
Savannah, GA., 31406
Phone: 912-200-4150
"

Odd, I had no missed calls from them.
Still, as they had reached out, albeit too late, I would certainly respond.
"12:18 AM 8 July 2020
Dear D'Angelo Shaw,
Thank you for contacting me.
I am sorry to have missed your call.
I had tried to phone the Eisenhower gym (912-200-4150) on Monday morning and received the message that the voice messaging system was full.
I have decided to freeze my program with Planet Fitness at this time.
When I stopped by there this afternoon, I immediately saw four people not wearing face coverings. One was on the treadmill and Christopher told me those people using the cardio machines were exempt from wearing the face coverings, even though those people's exhalations could have been loaded with SARS-CoV-2 molecules if they are contagious.
Christopher ignored the other three I had spotted - one (a woman) was in the lobby talking to the other (male) front desk attendant, one (a man) was just starting to use the Hammer Strength MTS Iso-lateral Row and the other(man) was just walking around in that area. While I was talking to Christopher, a woman entered the lobby from outside, with no face covering, and stayed near the front desk where I was talking to Christopher.
I cannot imagine how many others were being so casual about endangering the health of others.
When I understood that the personnel at Planet Fitness were not going to insist on safety, that's when I decided to freeze my membership.
I would have felt better about the situation if I had known everyone at least had been temperature-checked upon entry. I know the Savannah Bananas baseball franchise is doing that this season, for the 1400+ people they have had in attendance at each of their three home games. They also require the use of face coverings, in compliance with the City of Savannah's ordinance.
I strongly urge Planet Fitness to start checking temperatures before allowing entry. I know others who still exercise there who would appreciate a stronger stance on safety.
Meanwhile, I am still waiting out the two weeks since I was there, to see if I might have been contaminated, even though I wore my face covering the three days I was there.
As that is the only place I have been where I spent more than 15 minutes (about 90 minutes on each day) in the company of strangers, I will know for a fact where I became infected if I develop COVID-19.
Thank you.
"

If nothing else, perhaps they'll make sure the front desk staff follow their own rules.
I wonder if I'll hear aught back?
I wonder if I should report them to the Chatham County Board of Health?
I wonder when the first cases of COVID will show up with their employees?
After all, they are subjected to strangers' polluted breaths all day long...
and the face covering only provides a 30% safety margin for the WEARER...
and that's only for a 15 minute time span.
No one would be expected to be around a stranger for longer than that.
That's why everyone is to wear face coverings in public, whether inside a business or out on the sidewalk, the entire time they are exposed to strangers.
When everyone wears them, everyone has a 95% safety margin from infection.
This isn't rocket science, folks...
just plain math.

No comments: