Saturday, July 4, 2020

beep meep BEEP

There they were!
Three of my favorite little fictional characters from most of the decades
of my life, from three of my favorite galaxies, all gathered together
as if their worlds had collided!
The Looney Tunes' Road Runner was talking excitedly with Muppet Beaker and Star War's R2-D2 on the sidewalk.
Of course it caught my attention!
The caption made me laugh out loud!
"Tragically, no one could hear the truck backing up."
Well-played, Eric Mitchell!
Having grabbed the link for the previous night's PFS movie, "The Man With Two Brains", I then bounced off fb.


That was on Thursday.
Yesterday, I'd popped back on briefly, in hopes of good news from Odd Lot.
None was to be had.
They are on hiatus, after evacuating the Loft on Liberty on June 26.
They were to have celebrated their tenth anniversary of existence this year.
Instead, they have lost their performance space for the second time.
I recommended they look into the space on Eisenhower where Spotlight Cinemas once was.
Chris Soucy said that had been a dream of his for years, so maybe that will happen now.
With plenty of parking and six screening rooms, they could actually share the space with three other groups - my favorites would be Savannah Stage Company, Savannah Repertory Theatre, and Savannah Shakes, of course.
They could even have a Green Room in each wing, between two performance spaces.
Perhaps Cinema Savannah and the Psychotronic Film Society could rent space periodically, too, when the troupes were between shows.
I really think that would be a profitable venture for all...
fingers crossed for good luck!

Meanwhile, I have more loss adjustment to be made.
No more meeting up on fb 'with' my first niece for Friday night hijinks.
That may be for the best, actually.
Nor the part about not 'seeing' more of Christina on that social media site, certainly that is not the issue.
No.
The issue is that, again, I seem to arguing on the side of science with family members who have been educated in that area but are acting with ignorance.
Specifically, I have been arguing in a circle with my dental hygienist niece and her part of the family, this time including her sensible husband.
Like so many in the new demographic for COVID-19 infection, she is anti-face covering.
On Thursday, the day after face coverings became mandatory in Savannah, she and I went round and round on the topic, with me frustrated that she was not following the science or my side of the conversation and her no doubt equally frustrated to again have me trying to change her mind on the subject.
Honestly, I don't even understand why she is concerned about this.
They live in a tiny town about an hour from Savannah.
The only way those folks will be touched by SARS-CoV-2 is if someone there goes off to a larger town and then brings it back.
That's when living in a tiny town can become detrimental, as entire families get infected, overwhelming the scant medical resources normally in place.
I cannot understand her stance on face coverings.
As I kept telling her, the primary purpose of the face covering is to protect everyone else, not for the protection of the wearer, who only receives a 30% reduction in risk of infection.
She kept responding with how little the 'mask' is able to filter, that the virus can pass right through and infect the wearer.
I kept agreeing with her, again trying to make my case about the protection of everyone else from the spittle and exhalations from the wearer of the face covering.
Like the three fictional characters, we were engrossed in conversation to the exclusion of regard of all else, talking in circles.
After the fourth go-around, with her obviously not reading my side, I said as much to her, told her that I loved her, and wished her well.
She told me that she thought I wasn't reading her side, but she loved me, too.
I think that's where I need to leave this.
My nephew Stephen, a welder at the Savannah ports, is also taking the side against science, even though his mom has been a nurse for hour decades.
My nephew Jason, a health trainer with a master's degree in Atlanta, persists in treating the pandemic as if it were a political hoax.
My Aunt Barbara, another tiny town resident, has recently adopted that stance, too, sending me videos that are doctored to corroborate that illogical idea.
I feel like I'm in the middle of a bad dream...
wanting, no needing, desperately to wake up...
knowing it will take a fierce alarm to shake all out of a state of stupor.
Meanwhile, I don't think I should spend more than sixty minutes per week on fb, especially as that site insists on feeding me news designed to antagonize.
I certainly cannot take the stress of knowing that intelligent people I love are taking irresponsible risks, deliberately going against all knowledge learned from the European Union during this pandemic.
I certainly cannot take the stress of knowing that intelligent people I love are deliberately evincing the anti-science bias rampant in American politics.
I certainly cannot take the stress of knowing intelligent people I love are endangering themselves and others and may well die before herd immunity causes the pandemic to naturally slow its advance to a nearly imperceptible crawl.
That's completely due to math, by the way.
That won't kick in until we hit at least a 70% infection value.
That means seventy people of every hundred will have survived the infectious disease, whatever the disease is, and have antibodies in place to prevent re-infection.
That would mean that only 30 of every 100 people would run the risk of catching the disease, though only if they happened to have the misfortune of being around one of the 30 who might possibly be contagious.
Hooray for math, and science, coming to the aid of those willfully ignorant.
Remember when our President warned, in May, that the US might have as many as 100,000 deaths from the coronavirus?
Well, based on current values, now Dr. Fauci says we should expect 100,000 new cases of infection daily.
As of 12:15 PM today, the USA has a total of 2,784,452 people who have been infected.
I'll try to remember to check Monday for an update on the number of new cases between now and then.
Meanwhile, to gain herd immunity and protect the stubborn, the USA needs to hit a minimum of 216,122,200 total cases of people with COVID-19.
I realize that's actually a bit low, as I've based it on the 2010 census, which had our total population at 308,745,538.
I shudder to think how many deaths will accompany such a number of cases.
Sigh.

Wear face coverings in public.
Keep alligators handy for social distancing.
Wash your hands and leave your face alone.
Those three things are all that is needed to survive a pandemic.

Now, I've been invited to be one of 11 again, so I'm going.
Happy Independence Day.

No comments: