Sunday, July 26, 2020

first communion in pandemic

Happy World Communion Sunday!
Wait a minute, that's not until October.
Oh, really?
Well, I could swear that's what Asbury Memorial UMC called today.
I guess I will have to check the tape on that.
We were all communing at home, of course, as the church is still closed for worship.
I chose the sandwich part of a Nutter Butter and coffee in my littlest girl superhero mug62 for my bread and drink at the service.
That's a bit unconventional, isn't it?
Sure, I'll grant that, but these are unusual times.
I'd wager that Tevye himself would confirm that the tradition, or ritual, is the important thing, not the type of materials used for the items that are utilized during the tradition.
Well played, dear, well played.
Thank you.
Reverend Billy informed us of such, though maybe not as I stated.
That was in his pre-Sunday, weekly email to the congregation.
I thought the cookie part of the sandwich was acceptable bread.
Anywho, here he is, singing "What A Wonderful World" in his gruffest, most gravelly, voice!
As Louis Armstrong did?
Exactly so!
"Schnozzola and Satchmo", a sermon Billy created 25 years ago, emphasized that we each have a unique sound and that we each have a unique role in our community.
He also emphasized honesty and authenticity, as well as praise and gratitude.
But my favorite part was the fact that no one accomplishes anything alone.
We are all accompanied by each other in this community, just as every singer is accompanied by instruments and audience.
We are all in this together.
That we are.
Every action causes a ripple, whether we acknowledge it or not...
and every ripple affects someone else.
That's why we celebrated communion in the sanctuaries we call our homes, so our bare-naked faces and open mouths could ingest the elements of faith without endangering anyone in our church family.
We are all in this together.
That we are.
I don't know if anything better exemplifies that message than this little statue made by Colleen and bequeathed to us at AMUMC today by her daughter.
"Here I Am, Lord", the title of the piece, is truly the unofficial church anthem, sung at the end of every service, with the congregation standing and participating in the pantomime led by Cheri Hester.
We are all in this together.
Amen, and amen.
i thank You, God.

No comments: