Saturday, October 3, 2020

where were you for the palindrome?

I was at the grocery store.

"Oh, that wasn't a rhetorical question?"

No, not really.
As you may recall, I had looked forward to this moment occurring on a road trip.
You know, as being part of me 'waking up somewhere different.'
 
"Are you referring to an odometer reading?
That's got to be it.
Strange that you never mentioned that here.

What do you mean by that?
I had to have written about!
I very much recall spending most of a day dreaming about it and planning an overnight excursion!
In fact, I've spent more than one day doing that very thing!
 
"Well, buttercup, you never wrote about it.
Never, ever.
Not even an allusion to such a trip. "
 
How could that be???
Let me take a quick look....
there's the post about the mileage hitting 214000...
then, I had this one on the day of gathering information for a two-day trip to Monticello and its walking tours...
and then I wrote this entry after trying to plan just an overnighter in the Darien or Jekyll Island area.
But, you're absolutely right.
I never actually mentioned those possible out-of-town outings.
How odd.
 
"My point exactly.
How unlike you to have not even mentioned that you had spent so much time DREAMING about such things.
Perhaps you don't want to make them REAL? "
 
Oh, let's hope that's not the case.
For my travel jones to have dissipated to a state of nonexistence would be a very sad thing indeed.
I think the real reason is this: my car needs some work done and I don't want to venture too far afield yet.
As long as I still have a spare tire that is useless...
as long as I still have the "BRAKES" light for the leak in that system...
as long as I still have the "Change oil soon" reminder illuminating...
I have a reason to keep my silly self home

"I totally get that.
I've noticed an increase in the number of nights per week that you are out and about.
Now that the cinemas have reopened, your need to return to your life as a 'busy, vibrant woman' has been reactivated.

My 'need' - that is exactly the perfect word.
I have been following the rules, as is my nature, since March.
I have grown weary of doing so, but I have persevered, attempting to keep the needle in the groove.
I have sought out diversions online and entertained myself with shopping excursions to different stores.
I have even ventured out for a drive-in movie in Jesup!

"Oh, yes, you did!
Okay, that's a sign that you still want to travel!
After all, you've needed a new spare tire since January!

You're right again, dearie!
Oh, that is perking me up!
Okay, I need to get these things taken care of for the car...
and what better motivator than a planned trip in the offing?
 
"Oh, hooray!
That's the spirit! "

Yes, that's what I will start doing!
This week's project will be to decide on a new place to go and a new activity to do there!
I'll go ahead and make a reservation at a motel, too, so the trip will be real and not a dream.
Yes, yes, good course of action!
I guess this odometer palindrome of 214412 has found me exactly where I needed to be: at a decision-making place in my life.
Right place, right time.
i thank You, God.

No comments: