Friday, October 16, 2020

freekeh friday!

Haha! Made you look twice!
Bet you thought I was talking about the movie, huh?
My question to you is this: which version of the movie sprang into your mind?
For me, it'll always be the 2003 "Freaky Friday", with one of my fave comedic actresses, Jamie Lee Curtis.
Depending on your age, it might have been the first version, back in 1976,  or the second one, almost two decades after that.
There's even a fourth, from two years ago, that I just found out about.
But I'm not talking about any of those.
I'm just getting my freak on about freekeh.
This is the first time I've ever had this type of wheat and I was amazed at how much water it absorbed, turning a half-cup of the dry grain into at least two cups of cooked!
The mouthfeel is much like rice, but it has more flavor and texture.
I can thank Blue Apron for turning me onto it.
A week ago, or so, the box arrived on my porch.
This dish, Crispy Chickpea Grain Bowl, full of harissa-glazed carrots and currants, provided a nicely exotic brunch today.
I very much like all the ingredients and that spice, so I had saved it for the last just so I could highlight it on this day of the week.
(smile!)
A lemony yogurt and feta cheese demanded that a Lactaid accompany the meal, but that was an extra fifty cents well spent!
Good thing I have more lactase for the remaining two servings.
(smile!)
 
The first meal kit gave me two brunches and two dinners, so that was a boon.
"Mango Chutney Grilled Cheese" featured cheddar and smoked gouda on fabulous sourdough - with bread so large I ate it in halves.
Seriously.
The side salad was dressed with cider-marinated apple and cucumber - divine!
Please note this was the second dinner, four days after I first made it, and the apple is still crisp and light!

In between that one last week and the one today was this: Seared Tilapia & Lemon-Caper Sauce, with orzo laced with zucchini and Shishito peppers.
Those peppers I used sparingly, as I find them more hot than flavorful.
I added a yellow bell pepper to help add some taste to the pasta, and that worked pretty good.
Still, when I had the rest of the orzo for dinner, I added two chopped onions and a bit of chicken - 
good dinner!
The fish with the capers and lemon - hey, that's always welcome in my house!
As well as having it with the pasta last weekend, I had the second piece of fish as a wrap sandwich for brunch earlier this week.
Very good!
As for the future, I have apples!
My nephew Michael came by with this fall bounty and included two jars of peanut butter, two cans of low-sodium chick peas, some soups, some pasta, some dried beans... 
and a six-pack of raisins.
Hooray, I can make apple-raisin salad!
I showed him how to do it, with my trick for using lime-flavored carbonated water to keep the apple flesh from browning.
He was here for about an hour before he had to pick up his twins from school...
but not before we set up a movie date this weekend to see "The Nightmare Before Christmas" at the cinema!
Yes...
I know...
on this inaugural "Faustina Friday", the bfrb will be watching that with me...
I know, I know...
but I so very much enjoy this movie...
and it has been so very long since I've seen it...
I think it'll all work out just fine.
(smile)
Shhh...
don't tell the bear...
you know how he is about animated movies...
so this choice is a favor to me
Me seeing it a second time is our little secret.
(smile!)
Now, time for some "Family Feud" and apple-raisin salad!

No comments: