Tuesday, October 20, 2020

missing petal


If this were a real flower,then the removal of that first petal would be followed by the words, "loves me".
Perhaps that's the way to look at it still.
After all, Mama gave me this ring.
Sure, that central stone was an opal then...
but the ring was given to me by her.
Years ago, the broken opal was replaced by the citron to turn the ring into a daisy.
After my divorce, my left hand felt unbalanced without my wedding rings, so I had started wearing this happy ring in their place.
Some few years ago, I switched the ring from my left to my right hand and there it has stayed ever since.
Well, until a few weeks ago.
I had noticed a rash on my pinky and thought I must have touched some blackberry brambles while doing yard work.
The rash wasn't clearing up, so I took the ring off, to give the damaged finger some space.
It took almost a week, but the skin finally healed and was smooth again.
However, when I again started wearing the ring, the rash returned.
So, I have left the ring on the entertainment center...
until today, when the light must have struck at the right angle...
my daisy was gap-toothed.
There was a dark patch where a light one should be.
Where had the stone gone?
Whatever had snagged it such that the prong was so misshapened?
What had become of the stone?
Now, I have another question to answer: should I get it repaired?
My hands have not suffered from that of that weight, though I have missed seeing it.
Surprisingly, no one has mentioned the ring at all.
I have worn that ring, on one hand or the other, every day for almost thirteen years...
and no one - not family, not friends - has noticed that it's gone.
If I were to stop wearing Mother Pat's amber earrings would folks notice that?
It does make me wonder.
Not that it really matters: I wear the jewelry for me and my peace of mind.
Wearing this ring and those earrings keep those I hold dear close at hand...
literally and figuratively.
Yes, that settles it, the repair is warranted.
Now to call Levy Jewelers to ask for a new stone to be set.
(smile)

No comments: