Wednesday, October 28, 2020

halloween with LSD

I'm talkin' 'bout Lake Street Dive, of course!
The second of their fall series of Lounge Around Sounds was done in the same vein as their usual live shows at this time of year.
Namely, with them in disguise as another band, with that band performing LSD's songs.
Very cool!
For 2020, the band chose to honor The Beatles.
That's Rachael trying to channel her inner John Lennon.
Mike Calabrese, whaling on the drums, was a very believable Ringo Starr and unrecognizable in that wig!
Bridget was a fairly believable George Harrison, and McDuck was a stand-in - literally! - for Paul McCartney.
That cardboard cutout is to be auctioned off and I just may bid so he can join Elvis!
Not to fret about the horn-man's absence on that chilly platform!
He just wasn't able to make that NYC rooftop scene, as he abides in Minnesota with his family.
Akie was on the roof, though, tinkling the (plastic) ivories as that mythical fifth Beatle - lol!
I was tickled that the others had not wanted to leave McDuck out of the proceedings, especially as five of the segments in the show had been shot atop the building.

 
The first three segments were Beatles' songs, with the initial tune being "Dig A Pony", with silly lyrics that would have felt at home on The Beatles' White Album.
By the way, the English quartet had first played it on a roof back in 1969.
Good choice, y'all, to start the show tonight!
After a brief bounce to Zoom, they aired the second roof tune, "Two Of Us", this time accompanied by Bill Reid, owner of the roof.
After another interlude elsewhere - trust me, I'll get to it - the third song was aired.
I have to believe "Don't Let Me Down" was meant as tongue-in-cheek... right?
It was being played on a roof - as it had in 1969 - it had to be an inside joke... right?
That's how I'm taking it!
Forty minutes into the show, LSD finally played one of their own, a McDuck-penned song titled "My Heart's In Its Right Place".
That clearly meant right place, right time for me to be present at this online concert.
I let them know, naturally.
"Whoa! nice timing, y'all! 
I just watched "Deadpool 2" again last night and it was all about him getting his heart in the right place."
Moreover, the lyrics to the song were incredible, speaking of rusty chivalry and flaky friends.
I'm glad I have that album!
And when the screen shifted back to the five-video of their Zoom lives and they could see the comments left by the fans, McDuck even gave me a smile and head nod as he read mine.
Yes he did!
I know he could see the correlation, even though the song was written in 2002 and the movie didn't come out until sixteen years later.
Some concepts, like love and kindness, are timeless.
The last rooftop tune was another of theirs, "You Go Down Smooth", about realizing a lover just might be an addiction.
That followed the premiere of the only new song, this one by Calabrese, titled "Sarah".
The video was pretty stark, done entirely in profile and shot in black and white.
Hopefully, it'll show up on their website soon, so I'll have a second chance to hear it.

 
Let's see, what else was part of tonight's entertainment?
This video was shot on Akie's front porch, so no duck, but the foursome performed a delightful version of The Beatles' "Blackbird", one of my favorites, as I've mentioned before, at least once or twice.
They also had a video compiled of fans dressed as LSD and doing "Tell Them I'm A Good Kisser" - mostly lip-synching, but some actually playing instruments.
 
Another fun portion of the show was provided by Ryan, upper left, who may be McDuck's brother, possibly, if I heard right.
Nice cover of "Take A Chance On Me", y'all!
The show ended as they always do, with McDuck reading to us.
But this was definitely different.
No winking out of the screens, one by one, as he proceeds, but that was a good thing.
He was relating a nightmare story, one in which the members of LSD were dying...
I'm glad they stayed on screen!
Whew!
I guess that was in keeping with Dia de Los Muerte, though.
Next up is the Thanksgiving show, so that one will no doubt be back to reassuringly sappy.
(smile!)
Now, in a mood for more Ryan Reynolds, I tuned in to "R.I.P.D." On Demand.
That's him, on the far right, even though he amazingly looks more like James Hong.
Jeff Bridges, his costar, looks to be mirroring LSD's Rachel, doesn't he?
Especially as she was for much of tonight's show!
This movie was ideal as a chaser for LSD - Hahahaha! Hahaha!
(smile!)

No comments: