Thursday, October 1, 2020

unexpected conversation

You can only know the truths that someone else chooses to share with you.
It doesn't matter how long you've known them, or in what capacity.
It truly doesn't even matter if you live with them or not.
It doesn't matter whether they are a friend or a lover or family.
You can only know what is in their head if they choose to share it...
and you never know what might spark a revelation.
I had certainly not expected the following initial text to elicit a truth.
Right place, right time.
i thank You, God.

me:
Just to let you know - the two cinemas here are only going to be open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday henceforth.
The Royal in Pooler still has Tuesday.

him:
Grumbles*
(Goes on about economics)


me:
Knew you would need a heads up.
Knew you would understand.


him:
Thank you.
I know we've never talked about it but I am almost certainly on the autism spectrum.
Somewhere between plain old neurotic as hell and what used to be called Asperger's syndrome.
Not severe enough to be diagnosable perhaps but easily enough to make my life (and other people's lives) sometimes more challenging.
Thank you for understanding.
I'm not difficult on purpose, I promise.

me:
Understood.
I got yer back, dear.
That's what Aunties do.

him:
Thank you.
You are much loved.


me:
You are too.
Never forget that.
Seriously.
You are family I have chosen and that makes you a loved part of my life.

Where does our friendship go from here?
Does the path veer to the left?
Does it curve to the right?
It doesn't matter.
We proceed ever forward...
one step at a time...
I know he has become well acquainted over the past eight years with that concept...
because he has told me of his upcoming anniversary with sobriety.
Plus, one step forward at a time 
is all anyone can do anyway
here on this blue-green orb
spinning through space.
(smile)

No comments: