Thursday, September 3, 2020

what big change at 214000?

"This looks like a lunch with your first niece.
Is this when your mileage rolled over to 214000?"
 
Nope, but it certainly was a big change in location!
For one thing, we were in Savannah, dining at one of our favorites, Cancun.
For another, it was her treat!
We were there for over two hours!
She was in town doing doordash and making money.
 
"Well, that is most excellent on all counts!
I'm so glad she has found something fun to do and that she is making about as much as she made at that 'construction' company in Richmond Hill.
So, your mileage rolled over after you left her?"
 
Nope, that happened yesterday evening... 
and I actually missed it.
I had two new 'alert' lights on my dashboard, so I'd read my car's manual to try to figure them out.
"Brake" started a week ago and could have meant 'bad emergency brake' or 'low brake fluid level'. 
Fortunately, it was the latter option - whew!
That was an easy fix for less than $5.
"Service (with wrench-shaped light)" meant something was wrong, take to a repair shop.
That scary alarm was quenched with a quart of synthetic oil -
hallelujah!

"Such good news!
But what was that about 'new' light?
You still have an alarm message on your car?"

Well, yes, but it's that silly "Service Engine Soon" light that has been there for years.
Reading the manual, I remembered why it doesn't bother me.
Wanna know why that is?

"If you don't mind."

It just means my car doesn't like the gas.
The manual says that could be because I'm buying fuel at different places, or that I've changed the grade of fuel.
No, that ain't it.
My car's 2001 micro-managing little computer doesn't like the mixture of ethanol that all the stations now use.
That makes that 'alarm' message nil and void and pretty well useless.
I guess General Motors didn't plan on that 'green' change in fuel.

"Good for you for determining that!
At least you have it recorded here as a reminder.
But why that mileage photograph?"

Well, I took that after I returned from getting the brake fluid and oil from the nearly Parker's, as well as milk and tortillas from Food Lion.
I had chosen the short trip, in case I needed to be wary of a long drive.
Upon safe return to my driveway, I snapped that.

"Well, if that was all yesterday, and the luncheon was today, but the mileage had already rolled...
where else did you go?"

To a real cinema, for a real movie, for the third time in a week.
The big change was I was going to it by myself, something I love to do.
What a sense of freedom just by performing that simple act!
I still intend to go off on an overnight trip sometime soon -
maybe to mark the odometer giving me the palindrome 214421 -
but that's at least a month away and can be rightly planned.
 
 
 
Going to the movie last night truly was a big deal for me.
Plus, like the other three I've seen on the silver screen this past week, it was excellent, one meant to spark the mind.

"You're not going to tell me which one it was?"

You already know about "Inception" and the Film Festival of Masks that it inspired.
Well, on Tina Tuesday, which was a real one this week, it came complete with dinner (at Buffalo Wild Wings) and "Tenet" (a brand-new, 2020 movie that's physics-heavy) with the one-and-only bfrb - very nice!
Those were both with Kevin, but I would have liked his psychological take on this one I saw without him: "Words On Bathroom Walls".
I even teared up at one time in the film.
It's told from the point of view of a teenaged boy with drug-resistant schizophrenia.
He has been through a series of new drug trials over the years, at best experiencing a period of relief from the constant presence of his personal demons. 
During those respites, when his brain is not teeming with false images or imagined voices, he is allowed to live as any other kid, with only real family and school in his life.
Then the respite ends and he is mentally at sea again.
Fortunately, he has discovered an island of sanity in his ocean - when his imagination is occupied with the real activity of combining foods into tasty new dishes, there's no room for the dream stuff cooked up by the faulty wiring in his brain.

"Wow.
That reminds me of those two kids on the autism spectrum, from one of those film festivals a few years ago.
One of them used Disney films to communicate with his family, eventually using those to launch a club with others like him."

Yes!
That was at the Mountainfilm On Tour Savannah in 2016.
At that same Telluride film festival, Coffin Nachtmahr was featured, a true yoyo virtuoso.
(I love his name, referencing the joke about a nightmare.)
As I recall, both young men were 24 years old, which had brought to mind the Neil Young song, "Old Man".
The Canadian singer was probably their age when he wrote it.

"You're probably right.
His album, "Harvest", came out in 1972, when he was 27." 
 
That's right.
Several of his songs were on the radio from that one.
Anyway, I'm about to watch "Lethal Weapon"!
TBS had it On Demand and it's been years since I've seen it.
It'll be a definite change of pace from the two episodes of "Quantum Leap" this evening.
The first one had Sam as the bordello owner, trying to protect a runaway pregnant lass from her abusive husband, played by Bulldog for the "Frasier" show.
The second episode has him as the frontman for King Thunder, a glitter-rock band.
Here, he's answering a question about why masks are worn and how that relates to their latest song, "Fate's Wide Wheel"...
which even has it own video!
How about that?!
Pretty darned cool, I say!
Now, time for dinner with Mel Gibson and Danny Glover - 
lucky me!
(smile!)

No comments: