Thursday, January 9, 2020

flat tire story

I've been home for not quite ten minutes.
After towing my car to the Firestone on Skidaway, the driver for Hook Towing & Recovery drove off and left me there.
The time was 11:45 PM, a quarter 'til midnight, on a cold January night.
Rather than drive me down Skidaway to DeRenne, the driver left me to walk home...
along a street with no sidewalk...
in the cold...
in the dark...
alone.
Me, a 61 year old woman, overweight and definitely not athletic.
I was stunned when Alan drove off.
I had asked if he would take me to the entrance of my subdivision, that's all.
No, Alan had said, he wasn't going in that direction.
No, Alan had said, he didn't have five minutes to take me there.
No, Alan had said, he couldn't wait for me while I tried to find a ride.
After leaving my car at the front door, literally, of the auto shop, he drove away.
Didn't I have someone I could call?
Well, I could have called one of my friends that I'd been with earlier...
but two hours had passed and they would all have been home.
What about my nephew living with me?
Well, he would have had to waken his five-year-old daughters to come get me.
What about one of my brothers?
Again, if not for it being so late, I could have, but they go to bed around 10 PM.
How about one of my tres amigas?
Well, one has a bum car, one has narcolepsy, and the other lives so far away that I would have been waiting at least forty minutes.
How about Uber or Lyft or a taxi?
I have no smart phone, as Alan knew, so he would have had to look up numbers for me.
Alan would not have done even that tiny favor for me.
When GEICO had called for the tow, he had phoned me to find out where I was.
Upon hearing I was at the corner of Waters and Victory, at the gas station there, Alan informed me that he was southside and would need to get dressed so it would be about an hour for him to reach me.
I replied that I would be there and thanked him for responding.
Then, I settled in to wait.
The time was almost 11 PM.
Upon hearing that I had to wait, Tony of Pop-A-Lock stayed with me.
Tony was there because he had responded to my first call to GEICO for assistance.
My driver's side front tire had gone flat shortly after I left PFS at Sentient Bean.
By the time I had driven down Anderson to Waters, my car felt like it was shaking apart.
I knew the gas station would be open and well-lit, so I had pulled in there.
By that time, it was almost 10:30 PM.
Tony was there in good time to change out the bad tire for my spare...
but the spare, after years of being idle, had rotted.
Hence the need for a tow truck.
I had been pleased when GEICO had told me it would be Hook Towing, as I'd had such a good experience with them back in August.
However, as much of the hero as Steven had been, Alan was definitely the villain tonight.
Seriously, who leaves an older woman to WALK HOME, IN THE DARK, ON A COLD NIGHT???
Apparently, Alan does.
I sure hope no one ever treats his mother the way he treated me.
I sure hope not.
Now, I'm going to have some hot tea and try to calm down.
Later I'll decide what to do about this horrible treatment from a "rescuer".
Alan should see about getting into another line of work.
Alan hasn't a clue how to treat people in distress.
Hook Towing will hear about this.

1 comment:

faustina said...

I checked recently to see how far that walk home had been.
ONE AND A HALF MILES.
Seriously.
Good for me that I was up to it.