Tuesday, May 12, 2020

working in the bookmine, going down down down

Hard to believe it, I know, but I am still wearing a big ol' grin!
Yes, during this time of pandemic, I am quite happy and content at this moment.
What's up with that?
Well, I've spent more than eight hours, non-stop in the presence of the "sometimes quite charming" -
his words! - Kevin.
Wait, I just saw that I said 'non-stop', but we had about 90 minutes apart while we wandered within the ever-twisty, oh-so-curvy -
and towering so very high -
walls of Chamblin Book Mine.
I hadn't planned to do much more than walk and entertain myself with book titles.
Then I spotted the Jonathan Winters book and dug it out, holding it tight like the treasure it was.
"Winters' Tales" had been written when he was 62 - major score for my upcoming birthday62!
A bit more mining on a nearby ledge netted me the Gene Wilder book of romantic stories!
I am a hopeful romantic, too, as he was, so I look forward to exploring "What Is This Thing Called Love?" which he has proffered as an imaginary roadmap.
And the third book, Tanith Lee's "The Silver Metal Lover"?
After stumbling upon two treasures, I deliberately went in search of this 1981 science fiction novel which had been so important to me in my 20's.
Amazingly, I found two copies, including this hardback.
Major score!
As I was looking for Kevin, I heard his telltale "Caw caw", via text.
Not only had he found almost all he'd come in search of, he'd been granted almost enough in store credit (from the box of books he'd brought in) to pay for his new purchases!
Then, he surprised me and paid for my three books!
(smile)
Time to return to Savannah!
Oh, didn't I mention that the store was in Jacksonville?
Well, it is.
The bfrb had spoken of it before, some few months back, and invited me to come along.
For whatever reason - possibly Lucas schedule? - I had declined.
He apparently goes every couple of months, as he is a voracious reader.
So, during our drive there, or possibly during the drive back, we spoke of our shared love of books and bookstores and libraries, and I discovered he knew naught of bookmobiles.
I used to run out to the bookmobile like kids do for ice cream trucks!
We also talked about his neighbor, Ms. Bernice, someone similar to me in age, but much older in mannerisms and attitude.
I reminded him that I was still 18 years old in my mind, most days, with the world wide open and full of wonder and adventure.
I talked of my not being that girly because of growing up with three brothers, then working in a male-dominated field in the Navy, then going to college in a male-dominated area of science, then teaching in a male-dominated chemistry environment.
I talked about "La La Land" and my latest "live" viewing of it, including how disappointed I'd been when the internet connection had been lost, but how glad I'd been when I'd been back in time for the musical re-telling of their romance, by the pianist to to now-wed and famous actress, and how refreshing his innovative apology for their missed connection had been.
He told me of a missed connection he'd had twice with the same woman, once he was only 17 and the other years later when he was in college.
We talked about our divorces, me from Jeff, him from Penny; we spoke of how differently society views divorce due to adultery from divorce caused by medical deceit.
We talked about the pandemic, naturally, and about political missteps and economic mayhem caused by those in charge of helping the populace through this COVID-19 morass.
I drove as far as Kings Bay, when we took a bathroom break.
I spoke of how I had missed driving down to Daytona along this beautiful green corridor, with a blue sky above, going south every few months to "wake up somewhere different".
I mentioned that this was my first trip south since the my trip to Orlando with my niece Christy and her family in June of last year.
That's the longest I've ever gone without a vacation.
He told me this was usually one of the most boring drives for him and that he brought music and audio books to keep his attention for the trip.
By the time we were back in Savannah, he had remarked how surprised he was that we had talked the whole way there and back, not once listening to the radio or one of his history lectures about Irish writers.
(smile)
I told him the story of ending up in Macon with the physicist, because we had been so involved with talking that we'd not noticed we were going north; our goal had been Jacksonville to see the Derby Devils!
That was a very fun day, too, much as this one has been, riding for hours in the company of a man I love, talking with no distractions and letting the words take over.
How absolutely relaxing, especially when granted a sunny day for the trip!
Right place, right time.
i thank You, God!

After our return, I agreed to dine with him at El Potro.
He'd left it up to me to "dare to eat a peach", so to speak, and we were one of three tables of diners.
I'd worn my mask the whole time at the bookmine, and when we'd entered the restaurant...
but I felt safe to remove mine, as the waiter had his.
How wonderful to have Tacos Al Pastor, with Kevin, on Tina Tuesday!
How wonderful to get a ten-Mississippi hug at my house!

I wonder how long I'll keep smiling?
(smile)
My money is on all night, then every time I think of this trip...
and the easy, flowing conversation with red-carpet words interspersed...
and the gentle man by my side, making sure I felt safe.

i thank You, God.

2 comments:

faustina said...

This had been the message the Friday before the trip to the bookmine.

"The Universe 06/08/2020 3:25 AM
Don't wait for those feelings of excitement, confidence, and clarity, Faustina, before you take action.
Take action, and they’ll follow.
Go,
The Universe
If you have to, Faustina, just pretend. Make believe. Fake it. Right now, get up, walk outside, smile, wave, wink, and exude."

Then came the tiny push I had needed, at the Odd Lot show with Christina.
https://hindsightvisionfromtheocean.blogspot.com/2020/05/driving-to-daytona-with-my-first-niece.html

That was all it took to have me up and dancing...
much like Jeff's gentle nudge to encourage me to dance with Rum Tum Tugger.
https://2015delights4faustina.blogspot.com/2015/11/rockin-kasbah-with-memories.html

I can still feel that paw in my right hand.
Good times, because I dared take a chance...
and had a gentle push from one who loves me.
i thank You, God.

faustina said...

FYI: I wrote a review of the restaurant for tripadvisor!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60814-d4611871-r758153447-El_Potro_Mexican_Restaurant-Savannah_Georgia.html