Friday, May 22, 2020

cabaret with an odd black maria

And to think: I was concerned that I had very nearly missed the 39th annual Black Maria Film Festival!
I had somehow overlooked Bonnie Blue's invitation last week to the SCAD event, but stumbled upon it Wednesday in the PFS listings.
The college had chosen an even dozen for us locally to view.
(Now, I know the entire 150+ filmbank is available for free!)
The SCAD grouping could only be viewed until 6:30 pm today,
as their VIMEO link would be
deactivated at that time.
Silly me, I didn't start until 5 PM, knowing full well that "Quantum Leap" would begin at 6!
That meant the final 30 minutes of the film festival took an hour to view, as I only watched during tv ads.
I'm glad I was able to fully enjoy "Circus Movements", filmed with just the camera as audience.
Seriously, Mother Nature and Father Time were the sole viewers!
Well, sure, some stray oxen watched the juggling and aerial acrobatics
and fire twirling... in Ethiopia.
There followed two black-and-white films ("Freeze Frame" and "Thin Places: Iceland"), two stories from WWII-era ("Code Ruth" and "Return To Calais"), one about voting rights ("They Say I'm Your Teacher"), a tale told by two former lovers looking at photos ("Box Of Memories") and a quite lovely dance film ("Movement In Structure") that reminded me of the Yorktown airport.
Let's see, how many is that?
Three, plus two is five, then six,
seven, and eight.
So that means there were three experimental works of cinematic art that weren't to my taste, though "Sonolumin" was the least odious.
The last film, like the first one, had juggling and dancing, though not very gracefully.
"Cold Storage" featured a man with a surplus of beer and a home, alone, on an ice plain.
Were the evening's events real, or a figment of cabin fever?
This film, and the first, certainly fit in win this age of pandemic.

Next, I watched the second 1992 episode with Sam Beckett - as a San Francisco news reporter that a psychic can see right through - without bouncing back and forth between the living room and dining room.
Guess I at least got some steps in for the 6 PM episode!
(smile!)

Afterward, I bounced right over to facebook to catch the Friday Funnies, Odd Lot style!
Yes, I missed the first half-hour, since they start smack in the middle of my time travel show.
I had hoped my first niece would be there, but she was not.
Still, I was there in time for the "Bachelor Game", so that was good!
Drew, as the lucky bachelor, had to choose between Travis (a name-dropper), Jason (a cheerleader), and Lynita (event planner) - poor sap!
A couple of games later brought us to "Actor's Nightmare" and the script, with lines for Travis, was "You Can't Take It With You" - thoroughly appropriate for quarantine, occurring in one house!
Then, my suggestion - "what to watch on tv" - was selected as "something that would lead to an argument"!
That struck a chord with everyone!
Thanks for choosing that one, Chris!
(smile!)

I then hung out in that neck of the web, catching up on birthdays, checking in with my touch-and-go responses to queries, and changing my profile pic.
"Today was a day for popsicles and pony tails!"
Sue was on me justthatfast with her "Hi, beautiful lady!"
She received a hearty "Hello, gorgeous!" back to her in Canada.
Next up was my sister-in-law's Louisiana cousin, complimenting me on the photo.
"It was the third one," I told Hallie, "so I guess it's true about the third one being the charm!"
I didn't mention about preferring the second photo - lol!
Glad that lime flavor was so tasty and so very tart -
it made me pucker right up!
I'll have to remember that trick for smiling in future selfies!
Such good fun on my front porch, with my black bra strap showing under another top from Italy!
(smile!)

Then, pure magic happened!
Just as I was wrapping things up to leave those environs, I was alerted to a live event at Club One.
Say what???
Oui, oiu, mon petit ami!
My dear Blair Williams was celebrating her birthday with a live-via-fb, drag show, "Cabaret Party" on the downtown stage!
Right place, right time!!!
I shared the event on my page and actually had a few familiar faces, including JinHi Rand and Brad
Tatom, 'in the crowd' and watching the show 'with' me!
In total, there were five performers, with all but one performing two songs each.
I was totally jamming out to "Eye of The Tiger" with Alana Coke when I realized I knew this person!
She was Jacob Boney, one of my former students!!!
How marvelous to see him again!!!
I'm going to have to remember his alter ego and will hope to actually be there for his next performance!
Malcriada started the party, though, with "He was a skater boy", followed by Motion singing he "Never Knew Love Like This Before".
Third up was Alana, followed by Blair, signing a medley that included "Say My Name" and sporting fabulous short gray hair!
See my reflection?
I was trying to get a better look at that gorgeous hair!
Chi Chi Bonet Sherrington gave us a spiritual, singing that "Jesus was bigger than anything on Earth" -
such a very bold move for a performance at a cabaret!
Then, after a short intermission, Malcriada was back on stage, with shiny red "Kinky Boots", followed by Motion rocking a flirty red outfit with fringe to die for!
Alana wanted "Rain On Me", right before Blair took the stage for the final song, an anthem that declared that "I Was Here".
me, too, dear Blair, me, too.
So glad I made it for your party!
Right place, right time.
i thank You, God.

And now, time to fly away from here for a while.
Not from fb, as I left it over an hour ago.
Not from Savannah, as I have no flight booked and I still shelter at home.
No, I'm going to take "Planes, Trains & Automobiles" to go to a different location, see some different locations, and have a few laughs with Steve Martin and John Candy.
Good times, good times!
(smile!)

I miss being part of a live audience.
Soon, hopefully.

No comments: