Friday, May 8, 2020

driving to daytona with my first niece

What a day, what a day!
I'm going to have to keep in mind the new on-fb live Odd Lot show, especially since my first niece frequents that zone at that time!
She now knows, as does the bfrb, that "Quantum Leap" has become the high point of my day, with me going so far as to set an alarm to make sure I don't miss it.
Seriously.
Yeah, that's pretty lame, to be living for a television show on week nights, but...
well, there's a pandemic going on...
and Georgia, as a test state for the federal government, is starting a spike...
which means the pandemic isn't going away any time in the near future.
Sigh.
Let's see, where was I?
Oh, yes, talking about Odd Lot and their Friday Funnies "live" show.
(smile!)
I had asked Christina a few weeks ago, when I saw she had been at the show, to let me know when she would "be" there and I would "join" her.
And she did, two weeks ago, and I did, too!
And that was the high point of that evening.
The high point of the day had been talking to her on the phone earlier.
(smile)
Anywho... she texted me at the stroke of 8 PM, knowing Sam and Al would be offscreen, to say four little words: "Odd Lot is on."
Justthatfast, I had responded, showing up midway in the "Bachelor Game", with Justin trying to make the best choice between Abraham Lincoln (Jason), a conspiracy theory nut (Nirav), and Richard Simmons (Ryan).
Fun stuff!

Next up was "Actor's Nightmare", with Jason winging it and Justin reading from page 73 in an Edward Albee script.
And what was the topic of their discussion?
"The beach has too much sand!"
And why was that topic such a big deal to me?
It was Christina Ann's suggestion!
Hooray!!!
Next up was "Musical Keynotes", in which the singer has to incorporate five words from the audience into a spontaneous song.
I always loved the way Mac Davis could pull that off on his variety show, so I made sure to throw some words out there, as well as a theme for the tune.
And my theme was chosen!!!
"Driving to Daytona" struck the right chord (get it?)!
Not just with me, but with Chris and Jason and Justin, and with Megan
and Ryan and Nirav, all of us longing for a road trip...
and for what a road trip represents.
This bad dream would be over, the pandemic just a nightmare from which we had finally awoken.
Amazingly, Ryan McCurdy proved to be the exact right man for capturing that feeling, for understanding the meaning of those three words, as this was not his first time singing to me.
I really loved his song, and so did Christina, both of us ready to buy the CD right now.
Perhaps he'll put it on youTube?
Until then, I've listened to his creation several times.
I'm glad this was on video, or it would have been lost, as is most improv.
I have recorded the words to the song, mostly so I can sing them the next time I'm southward bound, whenever in the future that may be.

Driving To Daytona
words by Ryan McCurdy

Load up the car,
we're going on a trip
Put the amphibians in the back seat,
yeah, let's let it rip
'Cause we're driving to Daytona
So please load up the car
I don't care if you get hangry
We're not going very far
'Cause we're already in Florida

Well I woke up this morning
I just had one wish
I just wanna stop all feelin'
like I'm on the edge of a cliff, yeah
And you know sometimes I feel
Like I'm in a different world from you
It's like galactic invaders
This romance that fills the tube
And we're driving to Daytona
Get your car packed and we're ready to go
I don't care if you get hangry
Watch out, this weekend it's gonna snow *

Well I gotta warn ya
We might run from a wedding
I gotta warn ya
the confetti might hit us on our head

Driving to Daytona
And the quarantine is over
So they're having weddings and birthdays
and special events and
every sort of retirement party
outside!

Ah!
I'm driving to Daytona
So put your stuff in the car
I don't care if you get hangry
'Cause we're not going very far

Does anybody know how to get to Daytona
Did anyone bring a phone
It's just me driving to Daytona
'Cause it's still quarantine
And I am alone.


*(That snow reference is for real this weekend in New York, where he is.)

What an incredible way to end the show.
I'm so glad I was there with Christina tonight.
Right place, right time.
i thank You, God.

No comments: