Friday, May 8, 2020

take it away, take it away, take it away now

Of course I documented the occasion!
I had to make it real, didn't I?
So, while the truck was next door, I took one last photo of the piles in front of my place.
That's when the 1991 Red Hot Chili Peppers tune jumped onto my mental jukebox and cued up.
Was that because I wanted to "Give It Away"?
Hey, whatever was needed to get that mass of dead vegetation out of my yard!
That last pick-up had been the first week of April.
At that time, my theme song had been a modification of an Olivia Newton-John song about working out.
"Killing shrubbery, shrubbery, killing shrubbery,
let's go kill some shrubbery!
Then let's pile it by the curb, and in bags,
then let's pile it by the curb, yeah!"
I had stopped doing that heavy-duty excision of problematic growths afterward, until Mayor Johnson had announced that a special, one-time, yard trash pick-up was to be done.
Hallelujah! Game on!!
Back to work I went, cutting and bagging one day, hauling it curbside the next, vowing to stop again when the truck appeared.
One week went by, but no hurricane-debris truck came to the neighborhood.
A second week began to slide into the past, prompting the county service to kick into gear.
Somehow, the city had underestimated the sheer volume of yard trash that would be accumulated by homeowners hungry for something to do as they sheltered in place.
Hahahaha! Hahaha!
Little ol' me, working solo, had six huge stacks and ten tall bags waiting!
Good thing they brought out the big guns to handle that heavy rain of dead stuff!
Now, the last load of dead redbud trees and azalea branches has been lifted into the truck and my front yard is again clear.
Turns out that RHCP song had been the correct choice to accompany the task -
both were the same length of four and a half minutes!
Nice coincidence!
(smile!)
Right place, right time.

No comments: