Sunday, December 6, 2020

carpenters, cobblers, and cops, oh, my!

This is how I'll be ending this evening: in the company of police officers Al and John, of the LAPD and the NYPD, respectively.
And why wouldn't I?
The two cops have been my boon companions for the last two nights, perking up my spirits and putting me into a holiday frame of mind!
Before that, I'll have a visit with a cobbler trying to save his father's shoe factory by joining forces with a boxing champion cum drag queen.
No, seriously, that's the plot!
I had never even heard of this musical until I watched it at Asbury Memorial - was it just last year? maybe longer ago? - on a movie night in the community center.
So looking forward to having it on the silver screen at my druge AMC!
(smile!)
(Inside joke for the ex to enjoy!)
Speaking of AMC - the church, I mean, not the cinema - I was sure to be 'there' this morning.
It's the first Sunday of the month, so that means communion!
I had my shortbread cookie - saved since last month's first Sunday - and cup of coffee ready to go!
The service was a bit off for me, though.
I liked that it was about Joseph, the carpenter stepdad of Jesus, but there was a misstep.
Joseph wouldn't have read the Bible - that did not exist, and would not for several hundred years.
Joseph would have been reading the Torah, as he - like Jesus - was Jewish.
It would have still been unusual for a layperson like Joseph to read that religious document, as the rabbis were the ones who did so.
So, to have talked about that point to accentuate the different mindset that Joseph had compared to others of his time would have been a very valid point.
To repeatedly say that he "read the Bible" was untrue.
I think I'll have to take that up with Reverend Hester.
But not right now.
I have a musical to watch... and it will start promptly at 3 PM!
Later!

1 comment:

faustina said...

I had not commented on an important post-sermon zoom that first Sunday of December.
No, it wasn't the 'coffee hour' zoom of the past.
This was our first meeting to vote on two items on the docket for Asbury Memorial Church, now that we were an independent unit.
I had even been invited by letter!
A real letter, sent by USPS mail!
I'm glad I was there and able to participate.
I'm feeling a bit more like part of the congregation and less like an outsider.
Hallelujah!