Wednesday, December 2, 2020

elves a-plenty and two tall trees!

See what I mean about elves?
There's the elf-who-would-be-dentist, right behind Yukon Cornelius and the 'Bomble.
Then, in the back right section is his boss elf and the tall elf.
How good to see them out, brightening my living room and reminding me of the month!
My post-its on the kitchen cabinet help me track day of the week, but they don't serve for time of the year.
My holiday scene was set up last night, actually, prompted by the annual airing of "Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer" - which I caught, as I had no recitals to attend!
What's that saying about one door closing and another being opened?
Silver linings - they are definitely out there, waiting to be recognized for the little miracles they are.
After all, who would have expected the 'Bomble to be so helpful for decorating a tall tree?
Speaking of television events I was home to enjoy during this pandemic: tonight I watched the "88th Annual Christmas Special Live From The Rockefeller Center".
I'm pretty sure it's been years since I did that, certainly a long time.
And I watched the entire two hours of it, too.
That means I saw the very cute sketch between Dolly Parton and Jimmy Fallon - quite funny!
I gloried in hearing Earth, Wind, & Fire on the air waves again!
And I absolutely enjoyed the singing and dancing of The Temptations!
Plus, I learned about this tree.
The one this year is 75-feet tall - that's equivalent to a dozen 6-foot alligators placed end to end - wow!
As for the lights, there are more than fifty thousand illuminating it with a blaze of glory!
Hallelujah!!!
That truly made my heart glad and made me feel blessed to see it.
Right time, right place.
But there was more to come to make my spirits bright!
"The Christmas Spectacular Starring the Radio City Rockettes" was well-worthy of its adjective!
The first number had them as tap-dancing reindeer with magnificent racks - yes, the ones on their heads!
And, yes, I had to make that joke!
Fond memories of the Crazy Horse Paris burlesque show that I saw in Las Vegas in 2010 sprang to mind - oh, such good times!
 
And as much as I enjoyed that number, as well as the dancing gaily-wrapped candies bit that came next, the most amazing was this one: Toy Soldiers On Parade.
Proof positive that flesh does not have to be bared to make an eye-catching, heart-stopping dance routine that will linger forever in the memory of children of all ages.
No wonder folks in the past have made this a family tradition - and will do so again, in years to come.
I know that many consider the arms-locked, synchronized kick-dancing to be their signature move, and I'll grant that made for a very fine finale, especially with the fireworks onstage behind them - very fine!
But, for me, that slow-motion, dominoes falling, collapse of the line of soldiers after the cannon fired...
that was sheer artistry.
I'm so glad the numbers had been recorded at previous shows to grace us this year.
i thank You, God.

No comments: