Saturday, December 19, 2020

thanks, amc, for the nutcracker!

Ordinarily, by this time in the holiday season, I would have seen at least two performances of this ballet, ushering for children's recitals at the Lucas Theatre.
My record, though, was six nutcrackers, only two years ago, although it seems much longer.
I have certainly missed that during the pandemic.
That's why I made sure to see this version when it came via Fathom events.
"Bolshoi Ballet: Live From Moscow - The Nutcracker" was a performance that had been filmed in 2018 - the very year I had ushered for six of the dances downtown.
(smile!)
While it was quite true to the others in the first act, it was markedly different in the second.
For one thing, it had a ship in it!
That was called the "Voyage of the Future" sequence and had Clara and the doll-made-man sailing above the stage as the other dolls danced.
For another thing, there was no Snow Queen and Snow King.
Instead, Clara and the Nutcracker danced for that music, then they were married!
Yes, quite different from the others, but apparently meant to be true to the version staged in 1966 by Gregorevich.
At least, I think that's what the multi-lingual interviewer was discussing with the woman in charge of this ballet.
I admit, I was rather distracted, and certainly more entertained, by the Spanish 'doll' practicing his twirls behind the two women.
Repeatedly.
Definitely a fan of being in front of the camera!
(smile!)
How wonderful to have shared this with Sandy and Barbara!
They happened to be there, too -
dos de mi tres amigas!
Magnificent!
Right place, right time!
i thank You, God!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Okay!
Here's the word up from imdb for the version done by the Bolshoi in 2010:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1833537/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_2

Unlike THAT version, there was a trap door used.
Like THAT version, all the dancers are adults and the girl runs to her mother after she wakes.
Unlike ANY version I've known, the girl's name is Marie, not Clara.
Why the name change?
I don't know.

Oh, speaking of names, I had that wrong for the choreographer of the 1966 version.
His last name is actually Grigorivich.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yury_Grigorovich

No wonder it didn't look right to me.
(smile!)