Wednesday, November 4, 2020

why the lantana abides

Yesterday, I sat on the front stoop in the sun, basking in the warmth...
and realized I was not alone.
The wild lantana on both sides of the little porch was finally in bloom and had attracted some latecomers.
How very nice to have visitors!
Usually, the monarchs make my yard one of the oases of blooms to parch their thirst and fuel them up for the long road to Mexico.
Not so this year.
Two big stands of lantana in the front yard had not bloomed at all, their leaves looking shriveled and patchy and dried out instead of firm and lush green.
I had chopped down those two three or four weeks ago and hauled them to the curb.
Their removal sparked some reaction in the remaining bushes out front.
Their leaves transformed and variegated blossoms popped out within two weeks.
Better late than never, I guess!
The presence of the butterflies and moths and even a few small bees seem to confirm that conjecture.
I'm just glad to have the little lovelies brightening the yard, and my life, with their presence.
Inspired by their industrious nectar-gathering, I set about clearing the overgrown vegetation in the side yard.
Mostly it was a cluster of very straggly wild lantana that had bloomed on time - i.e., in early October - and run its course.
A few misplaced oak seedlings and wild cherry saplings caught my eye and those were chopped down, too.
Now, three fairly tidy piles await those who haul such things away.
(smile!)
And while I was making those piles tidy, my youngest brother stopped by on his way home from work!
We chatted, with his truck in the street, for at least twenty minutes.
Very nice!
Then, done with the yardwork and about to go in for some slunch, my neighbor pulled up in front of my yard!
John - remember him? the one who shares my birthday? - has been in Alabama with his daughter and has decided to move there for good. Jessica and Rob are still going to rent the house, so that's good.
We must have chatted at least twenty minutes, maybe even forty!
I dined on my quick and easy "poor girl's ceviche" and watched an old Christmas-themed "Beat Shazam", trying to guess the songs.
And the phone rang... and it was my brother Smitty!
He had not only spotted our middle brother, but had conversed with him!
He knows that I've been concerned about Ronnie, as I have not talked with him in two years; that's a long time to not know a brother is doing okay.
Now that I know he hangs out at the Marathon gas station on Skidaway, I'll make a point of looking him up.
Who knows?
Maybe he'll surprise me and let me buy him a phone to keep in touch...
but I'll at least get him to call his daughter and son to check in.
Yes, that sounds like a plan of action...
and this is the first hat trick with my brothers that I've had in quite a while.
Very nice!
i thank You, God.

No comments: