Monday, November 23, 2020

weeks 10 and 11 (but not 12)

After the flurry of movies seen this past week, I realized something today.
I had mentioned naught of the hits of the preceding two A*List weekends.
My, oh, my, how had that happened?
I guess my brain had flittered to other flowers!
(smile!)
Perhaps much like this little butterfly would do!
As I recall, it had belonged to one of my maternal great-grandmothers, most likely Granny White (Grandpa's mom), though the truth may differ.
From Austria, it is stamped "Ges. Gesch" (Gesetzlich Geschutzt) in its gold-tone brass backing, making it a copyrighted design.
Granny White died when I was in high school so she cannot share the tale of how she came to have this petit point blue and white beauty with its blue rhinestone-studded antennae.
I don't recall tales of family serving in the military during World War I, nor have I heard of any of my ancestors having ever traveled to Europe.
I thank my time in the Navy for making me as well-traveled as I am.
If Granny White kept a journal, the story of the brooch being gifted to her might well have been an entry.
I do not know that to be the case, though.
My plan is to gift the pin to my first niece for Christmas.
I know it will hold meaning for her.
Perhaps her German-born boyfriend or his mom can tell us more about its origins.
Yes, that will make for lovely conversation!
I'm so glad I 'found' it in my jewelry box on Saturday.
I have the 'back from the past' movies of the last few nights to thank for that.
Well, not really, right?
(smile!)
i thank You, God.
 
So, where was I... yes, week 10.
I only caught one film on that pre-election weekend, "V For Vendetta", but I saw it twice, once with Kevin and then with Carolyn.
Such good conversations in the parking lot afterward, too!
Especially with Carolyn, as she and I had stayed for the 15th anniversary post-film chat with one of the Wachowski sisters (who were brothers back in 2005).
Quite enlightening for this timely movie I remember so well!
 
Surprisingly, neither of the two who watched the film with me had ever seen it.
I'm glad they finally had the opportunity to see it on the silver screen!
I'm doubly glad to have had their treasured company!
Right place, right time.
It was just pure happenstance - even though I know there are no accidents - that I had mi amiga's presence.
That had been a very busy weekend for me!
Between the Savannah VOICE Festival with their Halloween treats on Friday and Saturday, and the birthday party for four of my great-nieces, it's truly a wonder I was able to see any movies at all!
What a great blessing to have a weekend so filled with the company of those I love!
i thank You, God!

The next weekend found my AMC A*List dance card full again!
Sir Sean Connery had just passed and the cinemas were honoring three decades of his work - hooray!
The first I saw was of his 007 persona in 1974's "Goldfinger", capturing him when he was just 31 years old.
I actually prefer his 60-year-old self in "The Hunt For Red October", which is one he'd said he so enjoyed as he wasn't playing a spy.
I'm sure that was a very nice change of pace - plus, it was a fabulous story of Russian and American navies!
So, spies were present, but he wasn't one of them.
(smile!)
In between those two movies that nicely bookended my weekend at the cinema, I had seen the one already discussed - a dour number - and an uplifting - in multiple ways! - kid flick, "Toy Story".
Hard to believe that one is celebrating its quarter-century mark this year!
If not for 2020 being a pandemic year, I'm sure there would have been a great ballyhoo for it.
Perhaps the studio will make up for that in 2025 when the movie hits its third decade.
And what do I have in these two photos?
Birthday cards spotted at the CVS between the kid movie and the second Connery!
Right place, right time!
Most magnificent!
(smile!)

No comments: