Sunday, November 22, 2020

nutcracker on 42nd street


The closest I can get to live theater, much less the much-beloved musical variety, is via the Fathom events at the cinema.
Sure, there was the one-act at Savannah State six weeks ago... but that was certainly not a musical.
The last musical I saw was "Alexander And The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" and I had known it would be the last for a while.
I guess I had not realized that I may be waiting until some undefined date next year.
Sigh.
Perhaps it's appropriate that the coffee mug souvenir from the Moscow ballet is not well-lit in this photograph.
After all, the stages are all dark now.
I have tried not to dwell on such things, as they are out of my control.
It's important to not be obsessive about things I have no power over.
However, I've been a bit melancholy this morn after last night's outing.
Not that the event was sad - far from it!
"42nd Street, The Musical" had been filmed during the live production on-stage in London and then released to the cinema on May 1, 2019.
Last night, an encore screening was held at the Classic 11 - and it was absolutely worth every penny of the fifteen-dollar fee!
Tap dancing! Singing! Costumes!
And a friend from the past, Monica, was there to share it with me!
She had seen my post on fb about the nearly-empty cinemas and dared to come.
This was her first time at the cinema since they closed in March.
This was my fifty-second film since they reopened in August.
And why wouldn't I be making the most of this one source of entertainment that wasn't predicated on my being glued to a small screen at home?
To those who present the argument that there is a vast assortment of events via fb live or youtube or zoom or other such programs, I say "enough".
I truly have grown weary of those.
Venturing forth to the cinema is as close as I usually get to human interaction these days.
The restaurants are only safe if I am the only one at my table, as I live alone.
Ever since I pointed out to Carolyn that less than three feet separate diners at the same table, I have heard nothing more from her.
She lives alone, too, and dining out has always been a preferred entertainment for her.
Sigh.
I miss live theatre.
I miss late-night, post-movie, discussions over food with folks I know.
I miss being in the mix of theatre and dance and concerts.
Still, I insist on being a busy, vibrant, woman.
I insist.
Today, I'll be attending another Fathom event at what was once Wynnsong.
That will be an actual film, but it's a beloved musical, one that Mama shared with my first niece on countless occasions... and that I hope to share with her this afternoon.
If not, I know I'll be seeing her on Friday and I just had lunch with her this past Friday, so life is magnificent in that direction. 
i thank You, God!
As for company today, mi amiga Barbara may be joining me for her first cinema outing since March.
Here's hoping she will!
Oh, one more thing.
I've finally realized another difference between opera and musicals!
Musicals have dancing!!!
Yet another reason to love them.
(smile!)

No comments: