Saturday, September 5, 2020

2-fer film festival!

The idea actually came to me on Thursday night.
I had been trolling for new free movies when I'd happened upon a foursome on TBS.
That night, I only treated myself to the first one of the set, "Lethal Weapon".
I am so glad I did!
Released in 1987, it featured a 32-year-old Mel Gibson, walking around au naturel in Martin Riggs' trailer on the beach - ooh lala, baby!
Not to be outdone, Danny Glover had his 41-year-old body partially immersed in a bubble bath when his family burst in with a cake for Roger Murtaugh's 50th birthday.
My, my, my... sweet dreams for me!
Friday saw me back for more of that duo and their antics!
"Lethal Weapon 2", out just two years later, was perfect to get the day going on the right track.
After it was done, I thought "Hey, why not do a film festival of movies which follow the same characters from one right into a sequel?"
Sure, that would work for this Labor Day weekend!
(Ya got my little joke, right? So punny!)
I knew "Hot Tub Time Machine" and "Hot Tub Time Machine 2" were available, so I went ahead and queued them up.
I thought I had not seen the first one, from 2010, but I realized I had as soon as it began.
No worries, I had enjoyed the camaraderie between these three college buddies, particularly as they were played by John Cusack, Rob Corddry, and Craig Robinson.
Even more of a draw was Chevy Chase as the hot tub wrangler and Crispin Glover as a one-armed valet at the ski resort hotel.
Yes, quite funny!
The sequel, from 2015, was missing John Cusack and had a definite mean vibe running through it.
Rob Corddry's Lou had stayed in the past when the other two returned to their present... and found he had used his knowledge of events to come during the intervening years to amass a fortune.
At least I got to see him nearly naked in a game show!
Plus, Christian Slater was the host of that fictional show - and he winked! 
(smile!)
In between those three movies, I searched for more movies with sequels.
"Shrek 2" and "Shrek The Third"?
Well, yes, they were linked, and I had enjoyed both, but I'd recently seen them.
The LEGO movies were all back for the weekend, but...
let's face it, I wanted some adult humor, I wanted sausage fests...
so, on Saturday, I was back in the first film bin, rooting around for those other two action-packed Riggs and Murtaugh sequels...
and I found them, too!
Right there in the TBS line-up where I'd seen them!
"Lethal Weapon 3", from 1992, would be perfect in my mind to accompany my lunch of fresh watermelon and cantaloupe, with a cheese roll-up...
and it was, too!
Joe Pesci was back as the realtor trying to sell Murtaugh's home, now that he was days from retirement.
Plus, Rene Russo was in this, as a tough cop with four brothers - 
yeah, I can relate to that!
As for the retirement, that simply didn't happen...
or how could I have been treated to the romping, kick-butt action of "Lethal Weapon 4?
If the cop had retired five years earlier, how could I have seen the delightful 51-year-old Danny Glover stripped down to his underwear twice in less than two hours?
I obviously wouldn't have wanted to miss that... so glad I didn't!
(smile!)

No comments: