Saturday, September 19, 2020

alex, what is a traffic signal on mars?

 
Incorrect, but what a fanciful guess!
Actually, two of these colorful globules are viruses 
and one is a bacterium, with a spherical shape that 
allows for easy transport via the host's bloodstream 
and other body fluids.
That top one is most definitely a virus, one that lives 
in its host forever, and is the gnarly beast that causes
chickenpox, which I spoke of before, and, later, 
like a hellish acid reflux, shingles.
The one in the middle, looking a bit friendlier with no 
sea urchin-style spikes jutting out, is nonetheless another 
virus and causes measles.
The one on the bottom, that looks rather like a golfball's 
innards but with turquoise accents, is responsible for
whooping cough, a disease which is certainly not as
whimsical as a whooping crane.
That creature is the lone bacterium of the bunch.

 
So, what brought that image to mind?
Well, I've been entertaining myself with episodes of Mental Samurai, a game show wherein the guest must solve puzzles, demonstrate memory skills, be able to arrange a sequence, and have random trivia knowledge of history, pop culture, and other topics. 
If the contestant is successful for twelve questions within five minutes, the prize is $10,000 plus a chance to answer four more questions, each of which increases the take-home tally by $25,000, up to a grand total of $100,000.
If the contestant correctly answers all sixteen questions in the allotted time, the title of 'Mental Samurai' is also bestowed, as well as a future opportunity to compete for a cool million dollars.
Wow, right?
There's one more catch - there always is, right?
The contestant is strapped into Ava, a contraption that whips around between the four towers (knowledge, puzzle, sequence, memory) like a theme park ride for one person.
I admit: it certainly is more interesting to watch than having a contestant sit in a chair and answer the questions.
I also admit two reasons I could not compete on that show.
First, I know that motion would activate my vertigo and leave me rather disoriented and possibly nauseated.
Second, I'm not as quick to respond as is needed for success, especially for those questions that show three faces and want the owners listed in alphabetical order.
Say what?
Half the time, I only recognize one of the faces.
I'm not alone with that issue.
Many of the contestants get hung up on that, too.

I'm glad I thought to partake of that show today with my lunch.
Part of the attraction is its host, Rob Lowe.
The other part of the lure is testing my mental skills.
I'm on episode 7 of 10.
I'll likely binge watch the remaining three, and the finale, tonight.
That's because it'll all be gone from On Demand tomorrow.
Yikes!
Good thing I had finished all the episode of "Press Your Luck", or this mental acuity show might have disappeared without my knowledge.
(Get it? Subtle, yes... but still a joke!)
Right place, right time.
(smile!)

No comments: