Friday, September 4, 2020

and the strike continues

When Yvonne posted this on August 23, I told her that was the reason that I am on strike.
I was tired of being the sole person responsible for doing everything all the time.
I knew I had a stash of plasticware in the pantry and the cupboard and resolved to use it until it was gone.
My strike had begun on Saturday, August 21.
It is still ongoing.
For the first week, my coffee was still in one of my mugs, but with a plastic cup serving as a liner.
All meals were served on plastic plates.
That clear dessert plate?
I had a stack of them, rescued from being thrown away after functions at the school.
Most of the silver-toned plastic utensils - forks, spoons, knives - came from the same source.
Once I found out any leftovers were destined for the trash, I made sure
to help myself to them.
The plastic cups had been purchased for a cookout when I was still married, shoved on a pantry shelf ever since.
I have been single since December of 2007, so it was time to use them.
When I washed dishes on August 28, I had three coffee cups (used for 8 days), several knives, 2 pots, 1 pan, and several storage containers.
No glasses, no plates, no forks - and that was after more than a week!
What's up with this picture?
Where are the plates and bowls?
Where are the forks and spoons?
Where are the glasses?
Those are still being replaced by plastic versions that are disposed of after use.
Remember, I'm still on strike.
I am cooking, hence the pots and storage containers still present.
But, I have control over how often I am washing dishes and I like only doing so once a week.

After all, I am still chief sweeper and lead person on the vacuum detail.
I am still the master laundress, too, and the one who has to put all things in their proper places.
Dusting, cleaning the bathroom, taking care of the bills - the human in charge of those duties?
That would be me, me, and me.
Plus, when Mother Hubbard's cupboard is bare, or more Zyrtec or toilet paper is needed, who 'gets to' do the shopping?
Yeah, that's this woman right here.
Guess I better get to the store - 
the refrigerator is as bare-looking as these shelves in the pantry.
Time for a drive!
(smile!)

No comments: