Thursday, September 17, 2020

georgia power 1, sally 0

Remember that necklace of hurricanes headed in this direction earlier this week?
Sally, the red jewel closest to the US coast, made landfall in Mississippi, then did a sharp turn eastward, cutting a swath across the countryside.
Funny, but it reminded me of "Cut Across Shorty", an old song that Rod Stewart did on his "Gasoline Alley" in 1970.
That means I grew up hearing it on the local WRHQ 1400 AM station.
I can't tell you the last time I listened to the radio at that bandwidth.
WRHQ is now on the FM band at 105.3 and has been for many years.
Pardon, but my train of thought seems to have derailed...
This particular lass arrived here late Wednesday with beaucoup rain and wind, continuing to weep and wail until about 2 PM today, going out with a tantrum that left my side of the street without power.
Of course, if it had been the other side affected I most likely would not have known and would not be on this part of my beach.
(smile)
I guess that's good for her, then, as I'm mentioning her name.
(smile)
A band of linemen swept through the neighborhood a short bit later.
The trick then was to find access to the poles so the dangling wires could be mended and the closed circuits restored to carry electrons to their designated destinations.
How to reach the poles?
Most folks have fences around their back yards, making that proposition an unlikely prospect.
(Yes, it looks like I'm having fun with word play... and I am!
Be sure to read those sentences aloud for maximum enjoyment!
Now, back to my tale.)
I went out and threw my gate wide, but to no avail - my roof hangs too low to allow the high truck and its cherry-picker to pass.
After checking around, the crew came into my open yard and set to work.
I noticed how high my grass was and came outside to check its growth after they left.
Not wanting to be emptying the bag of wet growth every 15 minutes, I set the blade on its next-highest height and tried out the mulching plug.
Oh, that was wonderful!
No stopping and starting was needed except once and that was after I had nearly completed the entire back yard!
Marvelous, simply marvelous.
And when I had put away the lawnmower and come in, I was greeted by:
shining lights and the refrigerator's hum!
Marvelous, simply marvelous!
Thank you, Georgia Power!

No comments: