Tuesday, August 18, 2020

CA GA LA PA


No, the above is not some modern-art interpretation of mountains and foothills.
I just posted that photo ten minutes ago on Mayor Van Johnson's fb page.
After watching his 10 AM update to Savannah, I knew he was a man who likes facts.
I also wrote this:
"As an analytical chemist and retired professor, I find bare-bones numbers to not be as useful as graphs that show trends.
I have compiled this one with date from June 1 to August 17; it shows the trends of the 7-day totals for NEW cases of COVID-19 for ten states.
The top three are Florida, California, and Texas.
That dark blue in 4th place is Georgia.
The two on the very bottom are Michigan and Pennsylvania.
The other four in-between are Louisiana, Alabama, Tennessee, and Oklahoma.
Like you, I follow the science.
I thought you might be interested in this.
"

I then shared the link from his fb page to my fb page and added the following.
"I just posted this on Mayor Johnson's fb page.
I love his 10 AM televised Tuesday morning updates.
I thought he might be interested in this, as he also follows the science.
I am soooo ready for ALL in the USA to follow three simple rules:
wear a face covering in public -
keep your 6-ft alligators between you and others -
wash your hands.
If folks in Michigan and Pennsylvania can do that, why can't we?
"

Indeed...
why can't we?
If children will follow those three simple rules, why won't adults?
I agree with Mayor Johnson -
this has been such a frustrating experience.
How many more people have to die, alone, struggling for breath, coughing out pieces of tattered lung tissue, inside the walls of hospitals, away from family and friends... alone, without even a hand to hold during their final moments of life?
I have been fortunate so far.
Only one of those new cases during that time span was family.
Harvey, the younger brother who just turned 60 this year, was in the hospital for COVID-19 and tested positive.
He has been out for a month, as of yesterday.
He had the good sense to seek treatment early, after experiencing nausea and lack of appetite and extreme lethargy for two days.
He had lost his senses of taste and smell, too.
On the third day, he asked his wife to take him to the emergency room.
There, they admitted him, finding him very dehydrated and in need of electrolytes, among other things.
That was Sunday, July 26th.
The next morning, the doctor told him he had improved enough to go home.
They needed the bed for more patients, younger people in their 30's and 40's.
Surprised, my brother told the doctor he thought just older people had COVID that badly.
No, the doctor told him, some of these young people have been here for a week or ten days, struggling for breath and for life.
That certainly brought the issue some clarity for my brother.
He is now on a daily regimen of multivitamins with iron and zinc, as well as a Vitamin C supplement, all prescribed by the doctor.
He also is a stickler about wearing his mask in public and around others.

He thought he might have become infected from a fishing trip he went on with our youngest brother, Tony, and his family.
He said he and Tony both started feeling bad the Friday after that Wednesday trip, prompting him to go to the hospital on the following Sunday.
I had explained that SARS-CoV-2 had a two week incubation time before a person develops the infectious disease (COVID-19), so if he was feeling ill just a couple of days after, then that's not when he was infected.
Now, I have to wonder.
The trip was on July 15th.
If he's right that he was in the hospital on the 26th...
than, chances are good that he did get infected on that expedition.
However, if he felt ill the Friday after the boat trip, that would mean he was in the hospital on the 19th, clearing the boat trip from being the cause.
It's difficult to say, what with time having hardly any meaning in a pandemic.
I'm just fortunate to still have my brother, that he made a full recovery, that he sought medical attention in the early stages of the disease, before it had a chance to chew up his lungs and develop into pneumonia.
i thank You, God.

No comments: