Thursday, August 13, 2020

artists' talks, hither and yon

 
Busy, busy, busy!
At least, that's how this week has felt, what with the svf-8 in full swing.
Tonight, I had something different to enjoy - two Q&A sessions by photographers.
The first was via ZOOM, shortly after I finally got the audio working - yeah, me!
This is Emily Earl, the one featured at the #art912 exhibit at the Jepson.
Here, she's holding the Polaroid ProPack camera that she picked up at a yard sale for two dollars.
Pretty amazing, right?
She was working in a photo lab at the time and thought she would enlarge some of these shots.
The actual photos, as shown here, are quite tiny.
Here's another amazing thing: for the eight years that she snapped the candids and poses, no one ever declined to be photographed.
Lot of exhibitionists out there, like the guy with The Beatles' caption!
I had asked and she told me he was only too glad to oblige.
In the last year, when the scarce film was $80 per box of 10, she became very selective of her subjects.
I mentioned Elaine's "sponge worthy" conundrum on "Seinfeld" and Emily Dunn of the Jepson nearly cracked up!
That was very funny!
I was not the only one with queries, though, and I have to wonder if the anonymity of the internet allowed folks to feel free to ask.
Truly, quite enjoyable and lively!


A scant thirty minutes later, I was on fb for questions with Ian Shive, the photographer who wrote, directed, and filmed "Hidden Pacific", an enchanting movie about the tiny atolls and the tremendous amount of life they support.
I was joined in a "Watch Party" by nine friends, so having interaction with them made it more fun!
(Sadly, none of our questions made it outside our little group, so we won't do that again.)
The National Marine Sanctuary
Foundation hosted the event, with a limited free screening of the film that day via Vimeo.
Of course I had a 'ticket"!
However, as busy as I have been making the most of the svf-8, I barely had time to view it beforehand.
I'm so glad I took time to watch an earlier interview with Shive!
That had been very informative and quite engaging!
To think: this all began from a request for a ten-minute short.
The movie itself I would have gladly watched multiple times if my day had more hours in it.
I especially loved watching these beautiful rays, with their 12-foot wingspans, gliding through the sun-dappled azure depths.
I wonder if they were flying near the coral atoll of Okinawa while I was there?
I'd like to think they were -
such elegance and grace as they swoop and swirl, almost as if they were dancing through life.
(smile!)
Right place, right time. 

No comments: