Monday, August 16, 2021

what a difference retirement makes


At the end of my fabulous day yesterday, as I left the cinema on Stephenson, I noticed that my odometer was nearly at a special mileage.
By the time I reached home, it wasn't quite where I wanted it, so I circled the block.
Ah, there it is!
2 1 9 2 1 9 
Looks rather nice, doesn't it?
What a wonderful way to commemorate the Sunday I'd been given!
It made me wonder, though, as to how much mileage I may have put on, especially with regards to not only the cessation of trips southward to the university, but also the lack of holidays I've had since the pandemic struck.
So what might have been another occasion marked by my odometer?
How about that night that found me out at the Armstrong campus for the first SERMACS planning meeting that I attended?
Yes, given that the results of that ACS event have been on my mind recently, that occasion will do quite nicely!
The mileage then, on November 12, 2018, was a sparkling 202000.
As I said, that will do quite nicely.
I was actually a bit shocked.
Here's why: 219219 - 202000 = 17219.
Bear in mind, that earlier mileage was almost three years ago.
That means my car has only gone 17,219 miles over a period of 33 months.
The last time I assessed mileage change was last October.
It was sitting at 214400 then.
So, in the past ten months, I've driven a whopping 4,819 miles.
Geico would be so proud of me.
That's an average of less than 500 miles per month.
Sigh.
No wonder my feet are itching to travel.

No comments: