Friday, August 27, 2021

happy new year!

"Um... okay, I'll play along, although you seem to be a bit over four months early."

Silly rabbit! I'm not referring to the calendar's version of 'new year'.

"Sure, sure. You begin your personal 'new year' on your birthday, and sometimes you make note of the Chinese New Year, or some other celebration. So just what is it this time?"

Today marks the first anniversary of the local cinema re-opening!

"Oh, my, has it only been a year since "Inception" was on the screen?"

It has.

"Well, I know this date is very special for you. How are you planning to mark it?"

I actually have options, believe it or not. There are two movies playing right now that deal with the dream or real premise, just as that first film had. Moreover, both are science fiction, just as it was. Plus, both are playing at that same cinema that dared to open its doors on that Thursday a year ago.

"Choices! So good to have choices!"

Agreed. Especially as the pandemic is again a full-scale rager, sending unvaccinated twenty- and thirty-somethings to ventilators in crowds, filling up hospitals as if they were night clubs. I find myself almost holding my breath every time I pull up the cinema schedule, waiting for the day it's again closed.

"Let's hope that doesn't happen, but I know what you mean. Still, you haven't yet answered my question of how you're marking this day."

Okay. The two contenders were seen this past week, which, as you know now, was the last A*List week of the 'cinema year'.  Sunday, I'd had an only-"R" double header, catching both the Aretha film and the other new Jackman movie.

"Yeah, I was there for those. What a shame that the multi-generational black family in the first two rows was giving absolutely no "RESPECT" to the woman on the screen. They let the too-young children play with their phones, with the volume up, even when Aretha Franklin was singing. I wonder if they caught the irony of their actions."

Actually, I think one of the mothers did. She walked over to where her mom was, playing with one of the toddlers, and had her turn off the phone.

"Well, you could have complained."

Yes, but then I would have missed part of the movie. It was good, don't get me wrong, but no way will I sit through that overly-long production again. I mostly just wanted to cross it off my list, in case Jennifer is up for an Oscar.

"Heard. And the movie with the Australian in it?"

Well, he's in two, you know. He has a bit part in "Free Guy", but him and his gorgeous voice are featured in "Reminiscence". Both movies are most definitely science fiction, both movies definitely deal with people who have difficulty separating reality from fantasy, and both have fabulous story lines and excellent actors.

"Hold up! You saw the Ryan Reynolds movie a fourth time?!"

Of course I did. This was its one and only week in Big D.

"But it's only been playing for a week!"

Uh, no, it's been on the silver screen in Savannah since Thursday, 12 August, which is 2 weeks ago, kinda sorta.

"I see. So, you're saying you've done well to restrict yourself to only 4 viewings?"

You know it! Remember, I've been waiting, like Deadpool has, for two years for this movie. Two, oh-so-long, years. Seriously. As I said before, I was relying on its presence last December and had planned to watched it EVERY DAY. Seriously.

"Yeah, I get it. It's like you and "Batman" all over again."

For sure, or me and Deadpool, or me and R, or me and Wolverine, or me and... well, you get the picture.

"Oh, yeah, I get it, nice and clear. You dig fictional men."

Not quite. I dig romantic fictional men. 
(smile!)

"Yes, dear. Well, whether you choose Guy or Nick tonight, enjoy, as I know you will."

Thanks, g'friend. I knew I could count on you to understand.

1 comment:

faustina said...

I realized something, as I was diving out to the cinema.
Neither R nor Guy had any control over who they loved.
With R, the memories his victim had of good times with his girlfriend led to R being attracted to her as well.
It was simply fortuitous that she fell in love with him, too.
As for Guy, as "Lovelorn" Keys had, quite literally, written his fate into his very program - making sure he liked the Mariah Carey song, swing sets, and bubblegum ice cream - he could hardly have walked away when the girl of his dreams showed up singing his favorite song, right?
Of course he could not.
As for Millie, she couldn't help but be attracted to him, either, as he had the same quirky sense of humor as her fellow programmer with whom she had shared so much time.
At least Guy realized he and she could never be together, as she was REAL and he was not.
What a gracious way to break up with her!
Yeah... still love this movie.