Friday, August 20, 2021

livin' it up, livin' it up, alright - it's friday night!

I made sure to specifically "put my face on" before I went out tonight.

After all, it's a date night Friday, and I was all dressed and wearing my dance shoes!

I know, it's been quite a while since my last date night, but since SVF-9 had passed its COVID tests and would be returning to the stage, I wanted to welcome them in a big way!

That's right, the festival is three days off schedule due to a COVID scare, but they launched right back on with "ROCK" at the CMC!

There was even a live band to help get everyone else all fired up - I came ready to move my feet!

But, look, up there on the bricks...

doesn't that silhouette look like a blonde, with long hair, wearing a hat?

I had never noticed that before, but, then again, this was the first time the Morris Center has been in this configuration, with the stage aligned on the side wall.

Off to her left, there even seems to be a reflected side view, or perhaps it's a back up singer?

Speaking of such, several of the rock songs played tonight had a featured singer with three to five back ups on stage with her... I guess they were all ready for a Friday night, too, after three unplanned idle days.

Although I enjoyed hearing all fifteen tunes, the stand-out performances tonight were by a singer that's new to me: Lauren Jelencovich.

She did two songs that are usually sung by a man - "What A Wonderful World", by Louis Armstrong, and "Hallelujah", by Jeff Buckley - and she was aMAzING!

I very nearly stayed for the second show, just to hear "Hallelujah" again...

very nearly...

but I had promised myself dinner at The Pirates' House.

Hey, what's date night without dinner on the town?

After a fabulous repast of Georgia Salmon, I didn't even need dessert.

Hey, that broiled salmon, topped with the sweet mango and peaches, and grilled broccolini on the side - oh, my!

Plus, mashed sweet potatoes were there to sop up the fruit juices....

yeah, I didn't need dessert!

I had it with my dinner!

Woot woot!

By the time I'd finished with my concert and fancy meal, the moon had made its way above the buildings on Factors Walk.

Holding my phone above the wire fence at Trustees Garden, I snapped this on my very first try.

Right place, right time.

Yes, Bell and James had it right!

2 comments:

faustina said...

I asked about the plans for the three 'suspended' shows (Femme, Flashback, and Live) and was told that parts of them will be incorporated into the Finale on Sunday night.
That's a bit of a shame, for the audience and for the singers.
Maybe they'll still end up as part of the Christmas special or something to tide us over in between times.
(smile)

faustina said...

I knew almost all of the songs, of course!
The only one I didn't know was a Billy Joel number, "Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel).
"Yesterday Once More", from the Carpenters, done as an opener;
"Joy To The World", my Three Dog Night karaoke anthem!!!;
"Stand By Me", by Ben E. King;
"Can't Help Falling In Love", an absolute fave by Elvis Presley!;
"Something To Talk About", by Bonnie Raitt;
"Sir Duke", by Stevie Wonder (I knew all the words [I wish those days could come back once more, I wish those days, oh, never had to go, I love them so], but didn't recognize that title!);
"Maneater", from Hall & Oates;
"These Boots Are Made For Walkin'", as done by Nancy Sinatra;
"You've God A Friend", the duet Carole King did with her husband, James Taylor;
"Hit Me With Your Best Shot", the Pat Benatar song to which Lizz and I danced on the bar at the noncom club in Okinawa;
"Sweet Caroline", the Neil Diamond song that's played at all sporting events as a crowd sing-along;
and "We Have A Voice", penned by Scott Joiner for svf-8.
Some were done pretty well, some were a bit lackluster...
and then there were the two jewels, the two songs sung marvelously by Jauren Jelencovich.
Hey, it's been a hard week for them.
I get it.
I'm very much looking forward to "La Boheme" tomorrow!