Wednesday, August 11, 2021

songbird with a german accent

And here she is, out in the heat and trying not to wilt, the hothouse bloom that had enchanted us with her solo recital tonight at the Telfair Museum!
Recognize this fair maid?
Ding, ding, ding!
That's correct!
Pardon me, but I can't help but gush about her talent.
Plus, tonight, I made it a point to speak to her.
She made some risky choices for the songs performed this evening - songs that had piano music continuing on even though her part had ended.
I choose a lot of karaoke songs that have long musical interludes and folks always want to know why; my response is always "because I like these songs and want to hear them."
She thanked me for commending her choices, saying she chose them to highlight the musician accompanying her.
Very nice!
I also asked if she had a favorite language to sing in for her operatic selections and with no hesitation she told me, "German".
She grew up speaking it, and had thought it so harsh and guttural; then, when she began singing the pieces in that tongue, she found it to have a beautiful lyrical quality.
"That's the way I had regarded, it, so guttural and staccato," I told her, "but I have to thank you for showing me its softer, poetic side tonight."
She very much liked that!
Oh, one more thing: recognize the fellow to her left?
That's Tiz, aka John Tisbert, there to accompany her on his trumpet!
For German songs?
Oh, no, for two fairly bawdy jazz tunes!
"There'll Be A Hot Time In The Old Town Tonight" started the party, with "Me And My Gin" adding to the fun level several songs later, before "Treat Me Rough" broke in between two stauncher sets.
I guess those were to make sure everybody could tap their toes!
 
The same backdrop of "La Parabola" that graced the wall during the show last night seemed to add a layer of subtext behind her during this "Headliner" recital.
Portraying life as it did, from the laughing, running feet of children as the proceed up the steps, to the flirting teens and newlyweds, to the older and more somber folks using great care to make their way down the stairs, it certainly was in keeping with the fabulous set designs she had used for her videos in svf-8.
And just where did I sit this time?
I was in G-16... one row closer to Belle!
Nor did I sit without human company by my side.
Ruth had come along with Tiz to enjoy the music, so she and I got to chat, albeit briefly, before and after the concert.
Very nice!
I honestly cannot recall the last time I saw her.
Perhaps I need to add her name to my list of luncheon companions - she would be a welcome addition.
It's not that we have much in common besides teaching, but that just means the conversation may take a livelier tack. 
As for tomorrow, I'll be returning for the last SVF-9 offering at this venue.
Such a warm welcome I'd received tonight from Katie, the ticket manager (I think), as well as from Sir Peter Paul Rubens!
The one had even checked that I would be present, assuring me that a seat would be waiting for me to rush in and grab!
"Song" promises world premieres and works by DEEP youth...
magnificent!!!

No comments: