Sunday, August 1, 2021

yes, on a sunday!

As Jack Skellington would say, "What's this? What's this!"

Yes, that is "The Moscow Ballet's Nutcracker" mug with today's brunch!

Yes, that is one of those tasty sandwiches from Chick-Fil-A on the plate from Okinawa!

Yes, that is "Bernie Mac" on the tv!

Yes, this is Sunday, on the first day of August!

I know it shouldn't seem like those items would all be present today, but they are.

That saucer is in use because I need to wash dishes.

The mug leapt into my hand to brighten my day and remind me of days when the high temperature is not above 99 F.

Bounce has changed its schedule, so I get "Everybody Hates Chris" on my Saturdays and this show has moved to this part of the weekend, as I have just found out.

Then, what was the other thing that warranted some 'splainin', as Desi would have requested from Lucy?

The actual food item!

Well, that was obtained last night, with a thought ahead toward future meals.

Knowing Chick-Fil-A would be closed today (as it always is), and knowing how long the drive-through lines are (with no dine-in allowed again), and having already told myself that I was going to be successful on this venture (as opposed to a failed trip on Tuesday), I went ahead and got loaded for bear.

I was actually surprised at how quick the trip there was.

Within twenty minutes of my car hitting the lines, I was back at home, with two of the special chicken sandwiches, waffle fries, an 8-pack of grilled nuggets, and four Kale Crunch side salads with little packs of almonds, all for just $23.01.

Last night I indulged my craving, savoring that pickle-brined meat on the soft bun, the mass of fries, and two of the salads - so very tasty!

The second meal was the second sandwich this morning, a rare treat that I have not had in at least two years.

The nuggets and the two small salads will most likely be a pasta dish for tomorrow evening's meal, or may be brunch one day - who knows?

Certainly not I.

I'm just glad to be somewhat free of my groove right now.

I've placed it rather solidly into my back yard.

This makes my third foray into the back yard over the past week.

Last Sunday evening, I had the blade at the penultimate highest setting and managed to cut about half the yard.

Thursday, I lowered the blade to almost the lowest setting and went over those same areas, with the bag attached instead of the mulch tool.

I had to stop and empty the bag three times, but the result was a better-looking grass level.

Yesterday, after realizing Carolyn was not going to make it to a movie with me, I ventured back into the yard to knock out the remaining unmowed areas.

Even with the blade again at the penultimate highest setting, I had barely done a five-foot square area before the bag was full.

The tall Y-grass was dry as it could be, but the undergrowth was soggy and glistening.

Clearly, a different approach was needed.

So, I've mowed in diagonal rows, in the hope that the pattern will allow the overload of moisture to escape before my next attempt to tame those areas.

In total, it took me an hour and I had to empty the bag four times of lawn cuttings.

Rain is due again in a day or two, so I'll need to face off against the yard before that; no sense in letting the grass get watered again while it's still tall.

Here's hoping this logic worked!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Sadly, the rains have come again and the yard was not yet cut.
Drats.
Yesterday, I knew the rain would arrive in the evening and had planned to get the task done before a movie with Carolyn.
I had just opened the shed when the first drops hit, about two hours earlier than the forecast had predicted.
Drats.
Maybe I'll get a chance to hit it before the heat returns on the weekend.
That would be a nice change of pace!