Tuesday, August 17, 2021

re-creating a memory

For example, this was breakfast this morning.
I call it "Ants on a Log" wrap.
It's in memory of a trick that parents use to get kids to eat celery, in case you've forgotten.
I love peanut butter and I love raisins, so having them mixed together and nestled on a crispy stalk was fine by me.
I guess that's why this popped into my head as a possible protein snack ... or even a tasty breakfast!
I have found it's best if the mixture is allowed to rest a few minutes - perhaps while that first sip of coffee is taken - to allow plumping of the raisins.
And just what was being recreated here?
Well, actually, to me it resembles r2d2.
I am quite sure my first niece's brother would concur, especially with that mystic blue glow emanating from the television set.
She and I were watching "The Wall" together, since the ether allows us to reach out and touch each other for that activity, 'talking' back and forth in texts.
(smile!)
I noticed a lull in responses from her and called her on it; she immediately confessed that her attention was, indeed, elsewhere.
She had found two wire mesh trash cans and thought to attach them to form a different type of display for her Paparazzi wares... and it worked!
She said the holders of the earrings clipped right into the mesh and it was quick and easy!
It's rather pleasing, in a space-age fashion!
Then, I thought about another picture she'd sent of something she made about two weeks ago, based on a memory of a luncheon we'd shared at a restaurant a few years ago, Larry's, that no longer exists, as the owner wanted to retire and no one in the family wanted to take over.
Good for him for retiring anyway!
For our luncheon that day, we decided to have dessert and both of us saw it on the menu at the same time: bread pudding!
And when it arrived, it looked much like this concoction she had baked, including the fruit cocktail in it.
Did she have the recipe?
No, she had found a basic recipe online for bread pudding, and then fiddled with it.
In other words, she tends to cook like I do!
She said it was good, but it wasn't quite right yet, so she was going to have a few more experiments to figure it out, changing one ingredient at a time.
For instance, she had combined white sugar and brown sugar; the recipe she used called for the brown, but she didn't have enough.
I suggested she use the extra-cherries fruit cocktail, as that would be pretty.
I'm looking forward to sampling the future results...
I do so enjoy bread pudding!
(smile!)

No comments: