Friday, May 28, 2021

warning to family and friends of fraud

 <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MtUiH8u7TyI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Faustina Smith
May 28  · Shared on facebook with Your friends
TO ALL: I was scammed on Wednesday by someone claiming to be a DEA agent, who had me pull money from my checking and savings accounts and put it on money cards "to protect it". I wish I had known about this before I lost all that money. I have filed a 13-page report on the Internet Complaint Center, but I have been told it is unlikely I will ever see any of that money again.
So, why did I fall prey? I had what seemed to be a confirming phone call from an Officer Christopher Evans with the Savannah Police Department, threatening me with arrest if I did not cooperate fully with the "agent" in Texas. Yes, I did a search on the "agent" phone number, yes, it came up as El Paso, TX.
This has been one helluva month of May.
 
Faustina Smith
Daniel Torres, Tracy Walden-Stafford, y'all should be aware of this.
[Both are local police officers and long-time friends.]
"Officer Evans" had called me from 912-351-3400, which is the phone number for the Savannah Police, so it seemed very legit, very scary.

Faustina Smith
website I wish I'd seen: DEA warning of scam
 
Faustina Smith
this one, too: phone call of scam
 
Faustina Smith
The "agent" demanded I stay on the phone call with him for more than six hours, to "provide a recording to the court house that I was complying". What a wasted day in my life.

Bunny Jones Roberts
What???!!!

Jackie Frant
Faustina, I'm so sorry this happened. Please next time - hang up. Our government agencies very rarely call - unless they've made earlier arrangements.

Sherry Moore
Oh Tina, I am so very sorry you are going through something like this!! Hugs!

Sue Kosokowsky
Faustina Smith, OMG!
I'm so sorry you went through this! These scammers are absolutely ruthless. Make sure you call your bank and report it, they can weasel in to your bank account!!!
Also call the office where you can get a new government ID.

Penny Walker Bos
I'm so sorry honey. Sending a big hug and this kharma reminder. I love you!

Bonnie Clark
So sorry

Stroud Williams
I would have told the crook to come to my house to collect it and that I would be waiting for him at the front door with a gift! so sorry you got scammed

Faustina Smith
He emailed documentation that looked legit to me and kept threatening to have me arrested if I didn't comply. Very scary, and exhausting, experience.

Donna Howard
So sorry to hear that ...beware of eBay scams also ....if ever in question of anything youtube it ...my friend almost purchased a truck off ebay he would have never laid eyes on it...
So many scams going on ....watch cash appt also ...so sorry

Danny Lewis
I am just flabbergasted! Not you!

Sheryl Petroski Pena
OMGOD! How awful, I hope these people rot in hell!

Faustina Smith
The reason I posted this was to assure everyone that this shiite really happens, it's not just a 'story' on the news. I would NEVER have believed it would happen to me, and yet it did. Right now, I find myself STILL waiting for the police to show up at my door or to call me. Seriously. So ready for May to be over. It's been mostly a beast, from my brother Ronnie's death to this serious loss of money. Damn.

Sheryl Petroski Pena
Faustina Smith, I reposted the link you shared as a warning to others. Again just so sorry you had to go thru that!

Donna Howard
Sheryl Petroski Pena, I posted it also...
Faustina Smith, hugs

Lorretta Ruggiero
I am so sorry Tina. I pray things get brighter soon.

Linda L. Walker
I am so sorry Tina. Please forgive yourself and know that you are loved.
 
------     ------     -----
Knowing that I am loved is why I posted this, trying to keep safe the many who do know me and love me.
Yesterday evening, after completing my medical appointments, I filed the report on the Internet Complaint Center website.
That took well over an hour.
Afterward, I was blessed with a free concert, with real people performing right in front of me, with real people in the live audience around me.
I'm so glad Carolyn went with me.
If I had not already invited her on Monday to be my "plus 1" for this event, I probably would have stayed home.
I'm grateful to have not had that option.
A distraction from the fraud was much needed.
 
Tonight, I'll have my first Bananas baseball game of the season.
Again, I'm grateful to have that option, of dinner and entertainment purchased months and months ago and costing me nothing right now.
i thank You, God.

No comments: