Friday, May 28, 2021

gift of baseball, and circus, too

First came the circus, of course.
After all, the Savannah Bananas make sure every moment is filled with entertainment, whether the action is on the field or in the stands!
This was their first home game, and my first game of the summer, and I had snagged a fabulous seat!
During the pre-game parade, led by the man in the yellow tux and all the boys in the Bananas pep band, I felt like I was in the very first row!
And there's Man-Nana Bruce Revis, looking straight at me, following in the wake of the brand-new Princess of Potassium!
Isn't her gown lovely?
I think it might be even prettier if they had all those ruffles edged in crimson... then her name could be Banana Flambe!
LOL!
And guess what?
I was close enough that when Man-Nana Chris, with the Dad bod and gorgeous tattoos, threw a Banana gold-bead necklace directly to me, I got it!
Woohoo!
I made sure to stand and dance and shout and clap whenever he wanted after that!
The folks behind me were new to Savannah, evidently, as I overheard a guy say "Is this what I've been missing at baseball games?"
I told them, "This may look like a baseball game, but it's a circus!"
They certainly had fun there tonight, hearing me shout encouragement and keep up with the players and the score!
 
Plus, I had lots of fun, too!
My favorite catcher, the inimitable Bill LeRoy, was back yet again!!!
Hallelujah!
Dan Oberst was back, too, playing first base with great aplomb...
and Kyle Luigs was again on the mound, keeping the Lexington County Blowfish scoreless.
Not that those fellas weren't trying their very best to get a man across home plate!

 
At least twice during the game, their precision use of a bunt to advance a runner from first to second should have served as a lesson to all of just how to do that.
Seriously.
Mister Willie would have loved seeing that action!
Who knows, maybe he'll be able to make a game, while there's still a little cool to the night air?
His stepson, Kevin, is in town, so that just may happen.
(smile!
Did I happen to see any familiar faces in the stands at this game?
No, though I can't say I was really looking.
During the 100 % circus portion, I kept glancing over to Willie's seat, trying to see Steve or Doc or Julie or any of the regular baseball fans.
I never saw any of them, nor of the ones I'm familiar with only by face.
Did I ever walk over there and wait to see if anyone might recognize me and come to ask about the old man?

No, I did not.
I had a prime seat and was not willing to risk its loss.
I had loaded up my butterfly bag with the free provisions of anything I might want or need - two hotdogs, two packages of chips, two packages of cookies, a bag of popcorn, a chicken sandwich, and two sodas - before I'd entered the stands, so, once I found a seat I liked, I was all set.
I am so blessed to have been able to sit in the same spot - and felt safe! - all night long.
i thank You, God!

1 comment:

faustina said...

I just realized I had not given the score... at all!
So, here are the game stats:

http://baseball.pointstreak.com/boxscore.html?gameid=547692

The Bananas won, 2 to 0, with no fireworks post-game.
That last part had surprised me, but not too much.
I kept noticing folks leaving after the seventh inning - which was sans 7th-inning stretch - but I figured they didn't like fireworks.

Oh well!
That meant a movie for me after the game!
I hopped aboard the Mugen Train before it left the station -
woooo hooooo!