Thursday, May 27, 2021

gift of fish

Today, I had two medical appointments.
The first, and longest, was to Telfair Pavilion, at Candler Hospital.
There, Patti performed four diagnostic mammograms on me, two on the 'normal' left breast for comparison, and two on the right breast, which has been leaking some kind of yellowish fluid for over three months.
She told me the mammograms would be available to my doctor this afternoon.
I replied that would be a good thing, as I had an appointment there at 2:30 PM.
She told me I needed to have a surgical consultation, the sooner, the better.
 
I left there, but did not want to go home.
I felt the need to be around others, though not necessarily people who would know me.
I wanted the company of strangers, people who did not know of my recent financial woes or my ongoing medical issues.
I would need to be southside anyway, so I headed for Savannah Mall.
The large aquarium at Bass Pro Shop was my destination and I was blessed by the sunny sky above it.
How so?
The fish seemed to be playing with the sunbeams, swimming into the light, allowing the photons of energy to caress their bodies.
They definitely seemed to be playing, between the light and the shadows, and I felt all the cares of life melt away into the depths of that tank.
I was there almost an hour and was more relaxed than I have been for a while.

When I went to the Savannah VA Center for my afternoon visit to Ms. Barker, she confirmed that the mammograms indicated an abnormality that would require a biopsy, which meant a surgical consult was needed.
She assured me that she would inform the VA hospital in Charleston and that she was requesting Community Care for me, as Charleston was more than an hour's drive, which is too far to expect a veteran to go for treatment.
She also prescribed medicine to cure the sinus infection I've had for two weeks.
And she made sure I knew that she cared for me.
Good.
It's been a rather rough week. 
No, that's not quite right.
It's been a rather rough month.
I'll be glad when it's over.

No comments: