Saturday, May 15, 2021

carolyn's kids film festival


There were actually four films, total, but one was not seen at an AMC cinema.
Nor was it purposely curated to have only movies featuring children -
that was pure serendipity.
All were seen in the caring company of Carolyn, so they do share that commonality.
(smile)
It all began with lunch at Chili's with her on Thursday.
I've been trying to have lunches with others to give bright spots in my life.
Wednesday, it was brunch with Michael at Sunny Side Up.
Friday, I made muffins with the banana from Ronnie's last breakfast tray, so I'm regarding that as a brunch with him.
Today, I had brunch with Christina and her two at Cancun.
But let's get back to the movies, shall we?
(smile)
During our luncheon, Carolyn suggested the new Indian film being screened at the Royal, as it starred Salman Khan, one of our favorite Bollywoood stars.
She even offered to chauffeur me to Pooler and back.
So, I went.
And "Radhe: Your Most Wanted Bhai" was a good movie, with several song-and-dance numbers, and a most enjoyable excursion into the world for me.
How did it relate to children?
Drug dealers were deliberately daring to dupe teens into dope, but Radhe defeated 'dem.
(Yes, that proliferation of "d" words was on purpose, just because.)
What made it even better was this: Carolyn had not treated me differently.
We had consciously chattered about the cornucopia of chitchat as usual -
that's what I'm saying.
She knows about loss - she's had four cousins die due to COVID-19 - and she knows how valued normalcy is to a griever.
I felt so enheartened by her comforting ways that I went ahead and booked my flights to California for a long visit with Paul and Cathy.
(smile)
So, when she suggested "Fatima" for Friday night, I accepted, to keep her company.
It wasn't a movie I had sought out last week when it played, but I did enjoy the 2020 tale of the tiny town in Italy and the three children (two of which died in the 1918 pandemic and became saints in 2017) who repeatedly saw the Virgin Mary in 1917.
(Side note: 81-year-old Harvey Keitel had a small role, to my delight. To my further delight, I saw him again that night, as BET ran "Sister Act". He was 53 in that one, giving me a double header of Keitel in religious-themed movies. Very nice!)
I felt so cheered up this time that I booked a holiday stay in Kissimmee, so I could be in Florida at the same time as my first niece and her family.
(smile)
Today, Carolyn and I had our own double feature, just by coincidence.
I wanted to see "The Water Man", lured in, like the young boy, by the mythology of a forest dweller who could control time and cure terminal illness.
She went along, as that movie was on its one and only weekend of screenings.
Then she really wanted to see "Those Who Wish Me Dead", so I agreed.
That turned out to be an excellent choice.
Not that the movie was outstanding, but because, like the other, it was centered on a middle-school-aged boy, lost in the woods, in need of rescue.
Plus, both were beautifully filmed in forested, mountainous, regions.
All in all, a very nice little film festival, with most free from the A*List...
and all in the company of my dear friend.
i thank You, God.

No comments: