Thursday, May 27, 2021

gift of voices raised in song

Savannah Repertory Theatre has a new performance space on Broughton Street: 
the former Acura car dealership.
The owner of the place is allowing them usage for the price of its property taxes -
how magnanimous of them!
Such a boon for this troupe, and others, to have this highly visible and very accessible downtown location to attract tourist trade as well as locals!
Tonight, to introduce their loyal fans and supporters to this beautiful area, they gifted members - like me! - with two free tickets to "The Next Five Years: A Celebration on Broughton Street".
Carolyn was there as my "plus 1", naturally.
I knew she would love the music and I wanted to share this event with someone who has been so caring of me these last few weeks.
That's Ryan McCurdy on the stage, welcoming us there, telling of the grand plans for the official opening to theatrical works next year, encouraging us to be part of those plans by contributing funds for the renovation and conversion of the rooms into theatre sections.
Such big, wonderful plans, for them and for Savannah's patrons of the arts!
And there were so many familiar faces in the audience!
Sure, all were masked, but that didn't hide the identities of these folk!
JinHi and Mark Rand! Justin and Val Kent! Sue Gorecki! Erin from the Lucas! 
And, of course, Jenn Bishop and her talented brother, Eric, of SavRepTh!
Both greeted me with warm and lengthy hugs the moment they saw me!
Actually, hugs flowed like wine, warming the spirit and the heart, quenching the thirst of time spent too far from these people!
And the music....
wow!
How wonderful to hear music from singers right there in front of me, not distanced by a glass screen and a Zoom audio!
How wonderful to hear the reactions of those right there around me to the emotions in the music, bringing forth feelings best expressed in the company of friends!
How wonderful to be part of an audience again!
And, as Ryan told me, how wonderful, as a performer, to have real people, with real faces right there in front of him responding to his voice, to perform with other artists right there in front of him...
it had been fourteen months since he had that.
At least I had the fall performance by The Players By The Sea and the Christmas performance from the Savannah Childrens Theatre to keep me from feeling so very deprived.
Soon...
sooner, rather than later, I hope...
I will again be able to watch real theatre, on a real stage, with a real audience.
I am so ready to wake from this pandemic-imposed dream.
Many thanks to those on stage tonight...
many thanks to those in the audience tonight...
and many thanks to Carolyn for sharing the joy with me.
i thank You, God.

No comments: