Thursday, July 8, 2021

6 for 6, plus dos amigas

Remember Carolyn?
She retrieved me from the airport, right?
We had then bounced over to the GTC in Pooler for another trip to Italy with Ryan Reynolds - nice!
She loves Cracker Barrel, so there's where she took me for dinner.
I had the grilled chicken fingers, two orders of greens, and corn muffins - yum!
Sure, I was starving after no breakfast or lunch, but still - yum!!!
She had the rainbow trout and ate every bite.
Then, she took me home so I could crash and burn heavily.
I didn't even unpack for three days.
(smile!)
The next day, she texted a query: "Had I yet seen all my movies for A*List?"
"Heck, no," I replied, "I haven't seen any!"
So, we set about to remedy that, catching a replay of "Peter Rabbit 2" for a matinee, followed by a replay of "In The Heights" that evening.
The next day, it was a replay of "Cruella" to complete my trio for that week - hooray!
Then it was Barbara's turn to have a movie and dinner with me!
Yeah, it seems like forever since she and I got together.
I'll be seeing her again on Sunday, as she included me in the list of invitees for her birthday luncheon.
Boo will have seven decades under her belt that day.
I'm so glad she's finally retiring from teaching!
These last two years have taken their toll, between the pandemic and the extra school requirements, and I, for one, am ready for her to have her own life!
Farewell, middle school math students!
the Big D - as it should be! - for the first time on Friday.
She and I watched "F9: The Fast Saga" on the Big D - as it should be! - for the first time on Friday.
I had coerced her into the 5:30 PM screening by promising dinner after - win, win!
We dined at Olive Garden, both ordering the same thing: salad, lasagna, and a dinner to go.
We both had leftover lasagna, too, but every bite of that salad was all gone!
(smile!)
The next night was Bananas and fireworks...
then it was yard work and fireworks on tv...
so, it was Monday before I saw another at the AMC.
That film was "Summer Of Soul...(Or, When The Revolution Could Not Be Televised) with Carolyn. (Boo and Sandy had seen it on Saturday.) What I would love to see is a series based on that Harlem Cultural Festival. The 1969 event was the third annual for that area and consisted of six weeks of music on the weekend. I do hope Questlove will take on my challenge, and that Bounce or BET will televise the series.
I know I'd watch it!
No dinner with Carolyn that night, as we'd gone to the matinee specifically so I could finish work on the back yard before Elsa and the rain... and I did!
Fast forward to today, the last day before the new A*List week began, and I was still at only two movies viewed.
Having made a conscious decision to add a third "new to me" movie, I chose what I did.
I'd actually intended to see the scary Emily Blunt movie sequel, even though I never saw the first one... but I tarried too long at home.
On purpose?
Possibly.
I really don't care for horror movies.
As it turns out, I got one anyway.
Sure, "Boss Baby: Family Business" is animated and meant to be kid friendly -
but it's important to remember that a bunch of still-single 20- and 30-year-olds write this stuff, and they are big fans of the horror, by and large.
That's why Pennywise, the clown that made red balloons something to be feared, makes repeated appearances, as a garish "child" full of scary comments.
Honestly, I do hope they will reconsider and remove it.
Yes, I realize that sounds like censorship on my part, but hear me out.
If the film's demographic is children under the age of 12, than the scary girl goes.
If the film is intended, rather, for the parents of such children, then let it stay, while cautioning the parents to be with the children while it screens.
 
Now, I am going to sit and digest the four-course meal I just had!
I had been craving pizza for days -
that began while I was still in California -
and, rather than continue to eat whatever I could lay my hands on in a useless attempt to scratch that itch, I went to Cici's tonight.
No, not after the matinee movie -
it was to be a genuine horror film, so that required daylight before and after viewing -
but after 8 PM, so most folks would be done.
Not so, as several large families with little ones had the same bright idea.
I still had my soup, then salad, then special no-cheese pizza, beautifully made, with a slice of apple pie pizza for dessert.
Just what I needed!
(smile!)

No comments: