Wednesday, July 28, 2021

last bananas in july for me

With no Mister Willie alongside, per his doctor's orders, I was up by the Shark again, but on my feet this time.

No kilts for me tonight, but plenty of four-legged friends - it was Bark In The Park!

This time, the focus was on those canines which are part of the Savannah Police force - bravo!

What else did I spy with my little eye?

Jacob, in his cowboy hat, and Bruce, in his Man-Nana outfit, keeping company and chatting at the stairwell!

As for the fleeing Pep Band on the field, that was pure serendipity giving me an extra cool photo!

I went down at the end of the second inning.

I had photos to share with Jacob and Bruce, from two weeks earlier.

Yes, real prints, that could be held in the hands as reminders of a treasured time!

I'd dropped off prints for Jesse, Dakota, and the Coach at the front office on my way in.

I love being able to share the love for Mister Willie!

As for that photo above, I had moved to the right field area in front of the beer loft.

I was still on my feet, as I had been since the start of this incredibly slow game.

After two hours, with the game still in the 4th inning, I headed outside, to sit on a park bench.

That worked beautifully!

By the time I reentered Grayson, quite a few folks had left and the sun had started setting.

(I even snagged a banana Moon Pie on my way in! Shhh... it's a secret!)

The game was only in the bottom of the 5th.

That's okay, though.

I was finally able to have a seat... and what a seat it was!

My cherry seat, finally!

And this time, during the Salute to the Troops in the 6th inning, I even got a handshake and a "Thanks for your service" from a roving Banana! Wow!

Then, in the seventh inning, the game really livened up!

The bases were full of Bananas!!!

That's my favorite of the bunch, Bill LeRoy, on first, with all waiting to see if lucky number 7 can knock one over a wall for a grand slam!

GRAND SLAM! GRAND SLAM!

I shouted that over and over, to no avail.

Still, a good inning!

Top of the 8th and what happened?

Pitcher change, that's what!

Not only did the bases get loaded with Bacon, but the Macon team even got a free run as the pitcher walked the next man!

But, hold on, there... it gets better!

GRAND SLAM! GRAND SLAM!

I shouted that over and over, and, yes, I was cheering on the visitors!!!

A good play is a good play, it doesn't matter which team makes it, right?

And guess what?

My impartiality was rewarded!

The next batter hit a triple!!!

Here we go with the first run over home plate...


 

then came the man who had been on second base,

coming on in for the second run off that hit...

followed closely by the guy from first!

Three runs from a single play!

Not quite a grand slam, but pretty close!

Minutes later, that tall cool dude who'd swung that mighty bat came home, too!

Five runs in that one inning for Macon, bringing their total to seven, versus the eight runs for the Savannah Bananas in this home game.

And just who was that batter?

Livan Reinoso, the third-base Bacon man.

Magnificent!

Maybe next year he will be a Banana?

That would be grand!

Yes, this has been an "over the moon" evening!

(Get the joke? About getting the Moon Pie?)

(smile)

1 comment:

faustina said...

Woot woot!!!

Just saw this post on The Savannah Bananas fb page1
----- ----- -----
The Savannah Bananas
59m ·
LIVAN REINOSO! He blasts one over the center field wall to put the Bananas on the board.
Fielders choice brings home run number two.
Bananas - 2 | Marlins - 0

----- ----- ------
As I told them, I'm so glad that former Bacon is a Banana now!