Saturday, June 5, 2021

gift of flowers

It's that time again, when Pat and Mary Prokop open their garden and share it with Asburians, neighbors and the world!

I had thought my first niece was bringing her two for the sights and smells, but, no.
Hinesville had pouring rain.
Savannah, as I told her, did not, featuring blue skies and soft, very warm, breezes.

I so missed seeing this in person last year!
In particular, I had missed this lovely plant.
 
The oak leaf hydrangea is certainly my favorite, as I know Mama would have liked it, too.

Today, I found out that Pat first obtained it in 1990, as a clipping, and has nurtured it ever since, even moving it to different parts of the yard to find its sweet spot.
 
It's still in the back left corner, near a wooden fence, and is thriving!
This other hydrangea is up front on the left, occupying a welcoming spot near the gate.

I was not the only one enjoying its sights, clearly!
 
The problem was trying to get that little visitor to hang tight long enough to get a clear photo of him...
gotcha!
 
(smile!)
Not that hydrangeas were the only types of flowers that the retired meteorologist has all around...
there's a plethora of flora in this yard!

Mostly, there are lilies of nearly every kind imaginable, in various hues ranging from dayglo yellow to creamy peach sherbet swirl to a deep fuscia purple, with petals that were smooth and broad to those twirled like licorice!

Plus, he has zinnias and begonias and petunias!

See what I mean?
I have begonias at my feet on the left and petunias on the right, as well as bird of paradise not yet in bloom.

I laid claim to this bench early on, before the shade had begun to creep across it.
 
I had a lovely view of the garden, but also a bit of solace in the sun, not quite in the crowd of folks there.

That bit of solitude was good for me, but so was the atmosphere on the porch.
It was almost like an impromptu party was being thrown during my two-hour visit!
 
So many I didn't know, but also some familiar faces: Pat and Mary, of course, playing host and hostess and greeting all with drinks and snacks; Genie B of HVJ, and her friend Toni; Penny and Lonnie from the Lucas volunteers and SMF group; and others I knew by face, if not name, from AMC.

Very nice, very nice.
Many thanks, Mary and Pat.
And i thank You, God, for this gorgeous day.

No comments: