Friday, June 25, 2021

a day with paul at a museum!

That's him, having just admired one of the roadsters on display in the giant showroom of the Blackhawk Museum.
He's never been there before, but knew it had old cars and knows how much I love those, and knows I love to get culture on my birthday...
so, there we were, good on all counts!
He was trying to make sure I had fun and got to see what I wanted while out on the West Coast...
you know, being the most excellent host he is...
but I kept assuring him I was there to see him and Cathy, and maybe do some things they liked to do...
So, back to the museum, shall we?
(smile!
Speaking of things I love, I think I've found a new car!
Sure, it's trapped in a display, out there in Danville, California, but I've laid claim to it with my butterfly tote bag!
Should they ever decide to vacate its space on the floor, this will serve of proof that I've called dibs.
Of course, I don't know how I'll get it over to this coast, but I'll work on a solution when that problem arises.
Hopefully my invention for teaching chemistry to blind students will be bringing in money by then!
(smile!
Speaking of students, this was one of my favorite displays in the exhibit on the top floor of the museum.
Inside this time capsule are four models, constructed by fourth-graders from recyclable materials from their homes, of the Spanish missions in the state.
Very awesome, right?
Even more so, to me as a retired teacher, were the two teen girls who were so delighted to see that the project they'd worked on when younger was on display so prominently!
I was truly thrilled to witness that realization!
(smile!)
I also was thrilled with the depiction of famous women in the "Spirit Of The Old West" exhibit, using cardboard dolls clad in the garb of the day - magnificent!
But, after a little more than two hours, Paul and I had saturated senses and needed a break, and sustenance.
This was the perfect spot for both!
A babbling brook alongside while I scarfed down Brussels sprouts with pancetta and he had mac'n'cheese set us right as rain!
(smile!)
Energy recharged, back to the museum we ventured, our tickets still good for the day!
I started with "Art Of Africa", which, though small, had a nice range of wood carvings and musical instruments.
Take this guitar - I am absolutely sure my ex's best friend, who has about a hundred of that type of axe - most assuredly lacks one like this... and would love to add it to his collection.
As for me, I prefer the assortment of metal works above it.
More cowbell, please!
(smile!)
Then I was off to the doubledecker display for the "World Of Nature", drawn in by the aquarium wall... 
where I proceeded to be lost for probably two hours.
I couldn't swear to that, but I know I was there long enough that Paul came in search of me, to let me know he was done with his exploration and was going to take a nap at the car-viewing area on the second floor.
"Take you r time," he'd said...
and so I did.
(smile!)
How could I not love this left wing of the museum?
In addition to the array of marine life mounted to the upper walls, ceiling, and the walls leading down to the lower floor, the under-the-sea mood lighting utterly captivated me.
The enormous lover level display, though, went on and on and on, with so many animals and so many interactive panels...
it was like some cross between a Rainforest Cafe and a zoo!
One wall was full of these goats and sheep, with the most incredible assortment of horn shapes and styles - wow!
(smile!)
I eventually realized that I'd been down there a while - or so my bladder claimed, lol - and resurfaced, admiring the schools of fish as I did so, of course.
"Into China" I headed, planning to do a quick perusal.
Fortunately, it was not a crowded display.
Not with people, I mean, but with art.
I was able to enjoy clay soldiers and carved, cavorting horses, as well as the city built of delightful marble that had been delicately flourished with swirls.
My last stop was the music room, with so many bells and a video of them being played, alongside this quote.
"To educate somebody, you should start with poems, emphasize ceremonies and finish with music."
Confucius, I so agree!
What an excellent note for ending my adventure - and, yes, that pun was intended! 
(smile!)
I'm so glad that Paul took the day off to share this place with me!
Back we go to his city by the bay, gratefully avoiding the rush hour traffic as we enjoy these views of nature in our magnificent world!
Yes, that was a play on the name of the display I spent the most time in - a little joke!
Here's hoping Cathy has had a successful day of work - after all, she's taking Monday off to be with me!
Bye for now, y'all!
I have different landscapes to enjoy and different air to inhale on this sunny afternoon!
(smile!)
i thank You, God!

No comments: