Thursday, June 24, 2021

succulents and a sandwich

This was what greeted me last night as I entered their house!

They had tried to consume all strawberry products before my arrival, but apparently they still had more - wow!

Nice of them to make sure I'd be safe!

I made sure to return the favor by giving their fledgling 'poison' plants a drink when I watered the rest of the back yard.

(smile!)

By the way, Cathy gave me that task, of tending the back yard, partly to make me feel useful.

After all, they are not yet retired, so I would be on my own this first day in town.

No worries!

I needed to stretch my legs after those six hours of air travel yesterday, so a walk around the 'hood was in order.

What's with the photo of the street sign?

Well, I needed to have a trail of bread crumbs to follow so I would be able to return, right?

(smile!)

I admit, I was a little winded, as that point was straight up a winding hill - I was certainly not in Savannah anymore, Toto!

As if to stress that point, this front yard full of succulents was just a few houses down.

Absolutely gorgeous, and with an under-the-sea feel to it, as if those different cacti were some new type of coral!

Several yards along my four-hour excursion featured this carefree plant life - nice!

This was a nice, and unexpected, break along my walk in the sun: a shady Buddhist garden in a side yard.

"May you be safe and protected. 
May you know peace and the causes of peace. 
May all beings everywhere be free."

Such a beautiful sentiment!

And such a tasty sandwich for my lunch!

Mr. Pickle's was new to me, and they proved to have the best pickle ever!

I had it on sourdough, of course... and they even gave me a cookie for dessert!

(smile!)

After checking out the historic (but closed) Contra Costa Florist site and the town's City Hall, I realized it might be time to try to find my way back to the start of my walk.

The street sign photos were a help, but then I took a wrong turn - oh, no!

Not to worry, as I knew to listen for the BART and let it lead me to the station near their house... and it did!

Yeah, me!

When I returned, Cathy tried part of the remaining sandwich, then returned to work on the computer.

I found a game show channel and this was on: a 1987 episode of "Classic Concentration".

Yes, that's Alex Trebek, in the center, as host!

So nice to see him as the healthy 47-year-old he was then.

(smile!

I made a mental note of the channel, of course.

One of the nice perks of going out of town is finding television channels that I cannot watch at home, with game shows being my favorite mental 'junk food'.

Soon, Paul will return home from work and we'll have to figure out what's for dinner...
but, for the next little while, I'm snacking on this!
(smile!)

No comments: